"Towards the Light" acrylic on canvas, by © Robie Benve, all rights reserved. Change the water often or have two containers: a clean one for diluting paint and one for rinsing the brushes. I just started painting again after years of nothing.

Instead of copying from artists you admire, why didn't you purchase from them? Happy painting! I remember as a child seeing a cartoon of Vicky the Viking where the hungry Vikings devoured huge roasted thighs, holding them with their hands and taking big bites out of them. Thanks a lot for reading and your comment! Question: How long do you believe it takes to learn to complete a high-quality acrylic painting? Assorted paintbrushes from Robie Benve's studio. I have a kid that does not want to have anything to do with painting, and I tried to convince him he can do it, but he's stubborn on his refusal. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. I've all kinds of creative things through my life time I love it from simple coloring to jewelry. The fact that thousands of painters participate really gives me the incentinve and commitment to paint daily, you may want to check that out. I don't mind my studio floor to be stained, but a floor covering is a very wise way to go. The only difference is that they are layers with two layers of titanium white. You’ll need stiff-bristled brushes for thick acrylic paint and soft-bristled brushes for watercolor effects. You can find student quality or artist quality, the latter is more expensive and gives a higher performance in terms of color and final results.

Robie Benve (author) from Ohio on February 27, 2019: You said it, Auntieartist, you just need to start. There are a variety of mediums and techniques to increase the versatility of acrylic paints. In Italy, for example, you would have to find art supply stores that sell pints, canvasses, drawing tools, and all the necessities for artists. Student quality has a smaller percentage of pigment in the acrylic binder and fillers. Robie Benve (author) from Ohio on May 06, 2019: Usually, I brush it with a big soft brush, to remove dust. In short, I think the best way to convince others that painting is fun is to do it and talk about it with passion. You can also look for more art inspiration 80+ Easy Acrylic Painting Ideas For Beginners – Inspiration. I love the feeling of evading reality that I get while I’m painting, I really get “in the zone”.

I sent you an email with some useful links. You can blame the paint for things you don't like ;) - 2. I have acrylics, brushes, small easel ... just need to start. Thanks a lot! drying depending on the canvas type. Depending on which edge you paint with, it can give you either a broader or thinner stroke. Question: What kind of varnish am I supposed to use on acrylics? Often they have critique sessions, and paintings with others gives you the opportunity to ask for advice in any case.

"Daffodils" acrylic painting by Robie Benve. Answer: I suggest you start getting familiar with the acrylic paint before you buy any mediums because it depends on what you feel you’d like to improve. Seeing gorgeous artwork of famous painters has you awestruck and inspired! With regular acrylics, you have to act on the blending right away, can't wait to come back to that area later, or it would be dry already. For smoother results, apply two or three thin layers, letting dry between coats. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Mix twice the amount you think you'll need, and use it all. Robie Benve (author) from Ohio on November 13, 2017: Hi Eileen, thanks for stopping by and leaving your feedback. Question: What kind of acrylic paint would be considered "low-quality"? Squint and mix colors of the right value, that simplifies things. Recently surgery on my right hand for trigger release of middle finger and trigger thumb. And if turns out not so good, oh well, let's start another one, or paint over.

"Loving Cherries". I bought an easel that inside had a set of acrylic paints and a set of oils, a palette and a couple of brushes. :). Thanks, i am just now getting into painting and this was very helpful! Answer: I like to keep my acrylics wet by spraying them with water as soon as I squeeze them out. It's been a ordeal. I got a few at a home improvement store, a set of 1, 1.5, and 2 inches. In fact, if you do use a photograph, use it for reference only, don't copy it. You can use acrylics with a watercolor technique, but unlike watercolor paints, you can't reactivate the paint once it's dry. What do you want to paint? There is a variety of canvases that you can have for acrylic painting and it all depends on your budget which canvas you want to get.

I like a satin finish the best, but they are available in matte, satin, gloss, and high gloss. I have done a lot of paintings in oil and water colour.Never tried my hand on acrylic.Your tips and suggestions for a beginner in acrylic are very useful and to the point. Question: What shirt should I wear to paint? Robie Benve (author) from Ohio on November 29, 2017: Hi Ehis, I call painting my "free" mental therapy, who does not need some every once in a while?

It almost tempted me away from my pastels......almost! You can edit some of the trees out, add some others, and move a home or a bridge to make your composition more balanced. Answer: If you are painting with acrylics it does not really matter where you start on the canvas, because they dry pretty quickly and there is little risk of smearing with your hand. I recommend you look for back to school sales in your area and shop around. If the starch is mixed in with the paint, then you may not be able to remove it. Robie Benve (author) from Ohio on December 07, 2017: Hi Debbie, thanks for your kind words. ( Log Out /  Now I feel comfortable squeezing out good amounts of paint.