It also has a nice crust on the outside and juicy center. s.setAttribute('data-uid','30bb3f0ab9-XX');document.head.appendChild(s); Thank you for your feedback , Your email address will not be published. I did add some black pepper. Learn how to get the ultimate sear + restaurant quality steak by cooking in your cast iron skillet! Hi Carly, yes I agree! In order to make perfect steaks in the cast iron, you’ll need a good cast iron skillet (make sure it’s seasoned! Pat steaks dry with paper towel. Me too! A few minutes before serving, when you plate the meat, top each steak with a tablespoon of the organic, grass-fed butter. Crispy Garlic Thyme Roasted Sweet Potatoes. Your email address will not be published. 60 minutes on the counter prior to cooking so the meat comes closer to room temperature. If you're cooking more than 2 or 3 steaks you may need to use two pans. Pair it with Skinny Garlic Parmesan Mashed Red Potatoes , Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon , Vegetable Steamed Rice , or … Place the Steak in the Hot Skillet. Depending on the size/thickness of your steak, you probably won’t need more than 15 minutes. Cast iron skillets will have a hot spot, usually in the center, so some deeper coloring will occur in that area. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how it went! document.addEventListener('mousemove',loadFc0a5) Privacy Policy. Hi Donna, in the recipe, I season the steak with salt “to taste”. It illustrates the super easy process of cooking steak in a cast-iron skillet! The best way to find out is to use a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the steak. Now I’ll be the first person to tell you that my favorite way to enjoy steak is on the grill.. but after living in an apartment without a grill for 2 years… I can confidently say we’ve found a way to make them equally as delicious in a cast iron skillet! Cooked with rosemary, thyme, and garlic butter, it is bursting with flavor and absolutely delicious. Now to the good part, the recipe! We don’t usually use a thermometer because we have done it so many times we know by looking on the outside! Before you jump into the instructions, make sure to watch my short recipe video by clicking below. **Calories for this recipe are calculated using top sirloin and are subject to change depending on you particular cut and quality of steak. Followed the directions to a t and had perfectly cook steak! function loadFc0a5(){if(inited0a5)return;inited0a5=!0;console.log('load f.convertkit in content 0a5a46a7b0'); }function loadFcSC30b(){if(window.scrollY>88)loadFc30b()};document.addEventListener('scroll',loadFcSC30b); Please leave a comment here on the blog, on. As the butter melts begin basting the steak with the garlic and herb-infused butter using a spoon. The most accurate way to cook a steak would be to measure the internal temperature with a meat thermometer. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon salt in bottom of skillet; pat beef dry with paper towels. Pan seared steak with an herb butter coating to make the juiciest and most flavorful steak you'll ever make! Not exactly Heart Smart cooking. But I never salt the steak since I've already salted the pan. Cast iron cooking makes the best steak. I love steaks in my iron skillet. And Creighton the recipe is for CAST IRON and NOT non stick so i would pull your low review if i were you. add in steaks to the pan. The steak cooks with a nice brown crust on the outside and the meat stays juicy and flavorful on the inside. Here’s a link to a great chart with cooking temps/times. inited30b=!1; Continue turning and flipping until cooked to desired degree of doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 1-2 minutes. Using tongs, place the steaks on a cutting board or plate, cover loosely with aluminum foil or a dish towel and let rest for 7-10 minutes without cutting into it. And if you're uncertain, you can always do the. The best way to tell when your steak is done is by using an instant-read, Snap a photo of it and tag me on Instagram. Welcome to my kitchen! I know they're a bit more pricey, but the added health benefits of grass-fed red meat are worth the extra expense. Well, unless you're a total badass and grill in sleet, snow, and super low temps. I even made a compound butter that was suggested. The best oils to use are those with higher smoke points. Required fields are marked *. Place the steak in the center of the hot skillet. How To Cook A Steak In A Cast Iron Skillet First, be sure to remove the steaks from the refrigerator and marinade 1 ½ to 2 hours before cooking. No salt. Learn how your comment data is processed. Filed Under: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Lunch & Dinner, Paleo, Recipes, Whole30, Your email address will not be published. Your ribeye will be done when it reaches the internal temperature that you like. Cast iron cooking makes the best steak. document.addEventListener('mousemove',loadFc30b);loadFc30b(), inited0a5=!1; Optionally, before serving, you can sprinkle fleur de sel. If you have a favorite meat seasoning blend, you can also use that. If you want it medium rare or rare, try 2-4 minutes. This is the best way to cook steaks in the winter when the grill is covered in snow. Way way too much salt. Want to learn how to cook Cast Iron Steak perfectly? Here are some of the reasons I'll take stovetop steak over grilled steak any day: This recipe is super simple, but there are always pro tips and tricks and ingredient substitutions to talk about. Here’s a link to a great chart with cooking temps/times. If you need some sides to serve alongside this steak, it goes great with our garlic asparagus and air fryer brussels sprouts. With my easy to follow step-by-step recipes, you’ll be surprised at how quickly a wholesome and delicious meal can come together. Places steaks on a plate. Warm the oil until the surface just begins to shimmer (that's how we know it's hot enough to sear). If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it. Meaning season it to your tasting. After browning you can also finish it in the hot oven for a few minutes also. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cast-iron-skillet-steak Using this sear and bake technique with high heat and a cast-iron skillet, you'll end up with a flavorful crust and juicy interior every time. Learn how your comment data is processed. I overcooked my steak, but with the added flavor I hardly noticed. The coating releases toxic fumes. **This blog post contains affiliate links to products that I actually use and that align with my values. Every inch will be covered with the flavors of the butter, thyme, rosemary, and garlic. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. var s=document.createElement('script');s.async=true;s.onload=function(){};s.src='//f.convertkit.com/0a5a46a7b0/552f95dfe5.js'; Steaks just soak up butter and it adds so much flavor to both the outside and inside of the meat. Please pin for later and when you make it, let me know what you think. I have always cooked steaks on my grill, but since I was of out propane I decided to try this recipe. Pair it with Skinny Garlic Parmesan Mashed Red Potatoes, Green Beans with Mushrooms and Bacon, Vegetable Steamed Rice, or Roasted Broccoli with Shallots. It only takes a minute or two to do this. Keep your trusty instant-read thermometer on standby. … Once you’ve flipped the steak, add some butter right on top of the steak. How to Cook the Perfect Steak in a Cast-Iron Skillet, Coarse sea salt (or kosher salt) & coarsely ground black pepper, to taste, large lid (big enough to cover the skillet), Remove steaks from the fridge and season both sides with coarse sea salt (or kosher salt) and coarsely ground black pepper, to taste. If that's the case--props to you. This post may contain affiliate links. . Want to learn how to cook Cast Iron Steak perfectly?. I recommend ButcherBox steaks. Skinny Garlic Parmesan Mashed Red Potatoes, Garlic Chili Crispy Roasted Chicken Thighs, Creamy Parsnip Puree with Garlic and Sage Butter, Whole30 Meal Prep Breakfast Taco Scramble. document.removeEventListener('scroll',loadFcSC30b); Don't own a cast-iron skillet yet? Also, make sure that you have good ventilation or a range hood when making this cast iron steak. So, butter is a must. Once pan is hot (it must be hot!!) As I've mentioned, cast iron steak is a great recipe for meal prep. I like to have my cast iron heated up as well, so I usually let it preheat on the stovetop until it starts to lightly smoke up. Sprinkle entire surface of each steak with 1 teaspoon salt. Also rude to add your own recipe. Plus, with only 6 ingredients, most of which you have in your pantry, it's a cinch to make. That’s why I came up with this simple steak recipe that’s so easy, you could make it any day of the week. Finishing off in the oven is another great way to finish steak! document.removeEventListener('scroll',loadFcSC0a5); Lay the steak in, do not turn over for 4 minutes, then do the second side. https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a27681682/cast-iron-skillet-steak-recipe Basting is a really important step in making this cast iron ribeye steak. This is James Beard's recipe for fried steak. Here’s how we do it! Season your steak as desired; we recommend Kansas City Steak Original Steak Seasoning. Cook 30 seconds and then begin moving steak, occasionally pressing slightly to ensure even contact with skillet. For steaks - I like to buy grass-fed and finished steaks. You actually need the coarse kosher salt to create that delicious crust on the outside of the steak. Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipes You’ll Fall in Love With, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 1 beef New York strip or ribeye steak (1 pound), 1 inch thick. When you’re ready to cook, place a large 12-inch cast iron skillet … Read More…. Copyright © 2020 FIXED on FRESH on the Foodie Pro Theme. If you make a recipe from my blog, be sure to tag @simplyhomecooked on Instagram for a chance to be featured! I used a homemade herb butter and this will be my go-to method for steaks since I don’t have a grill! to serve with your perfectly cooked steak? In your skillet, heat ghee. document.removeEventListener('mousemove',loadFc0a5) With that in mind, I have a few suggestions for you for keeping it fresh and still delicious for as long as possible. https://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/a27681682/cast-iron-skillet-steak-recipe I think you may have oversalted it. Try to baste the steak with the ghee as it cooks by tipping the pan and using a spoon to scoop the juices + spoon over the steak. Cooking steak of any kind on the stovetop, in a cast iron skillet is my absolute favorite way to cook steak.