Pot up the jam in a sterilised hot jar using a small ladle or jam funnel. Can you use frozen fruit ie blueberries or just fresh. I have a giant bag of organic blueberries in my freezer now from Costco. I am also the founder of Delightful Mom Health, a line of high quality natural health supplements, cookbook author, and certified health and nutrition life coach. Even frozen blueberries are bursting with flavor and can easily be turned into blueberry jam as the center in muffins, custards and crumbles. I meant to say that after 24 hours in the fridge, after cooling on the counter, I put all but one jar in the freezer. After 24 hours, I put all but one jar in the fridge. Your email address will not be published. The blueberries produced on the plants had a powder-like substance coating them. Yield: ~1 cup. We ate one tray but the rest were destined for jam, although I did have to throw away just over a third of the remainder as they were soft and over ripe which is not good for eating or jam making. I had never really thought about this before as I never use pectin or jam sugar in my recipes. As the sugar starts to melt and the fruit warms up, take a potato masher to mash the blueberries, leaving some whole if desired. Just whole fruit jam! Oh fresh is best- yumm!!!

I can’t tell you how amazing this Simple Blueberry Jam is. Blueberries are acidic enough to can without lemon juice, and it's added for both flavor and added pectin. Thank you lhelen. Let it simmer uncovered, until the mixture has thickened, about 7-10 minutes. Phytonutrients are plant based foods. Pat the blueberries dry with a towel. Excellent jam recipe ; it could not be easier.

Homemade blueberry jam is so simple to make and made without adding pectin or preservatives!

You just need to boil until it passes the chilled plate test. This 3 ingredient, no added pectin recipe is a sure fire winner! All berrys – in fact, all terrestrial plants – have pectin as a component of their cell walls. I can’t remember the last time I had blueberry jam! Oops! The best blueberries are freshly picked.

When making a homemade jam with fresh berries, simmer until slightly thick in consistency (not watery). This quick and easy Small Batch Blueberry Jam without pectin is the perfect recipe for beginners and only makes one 6-ounce jar. The towel helps the blueberries not to stick during the freezing process. In a medium saucepan combine the blueberries, sugar, lemon juice and salt. She wanted a baking dish recipe that can easily be served as bars and pan-fed. Required fields are marked *. Put 2 saucers in the freezer before you start.Sterilise 1 x 450 ml jar by washing in hot soapy water or take straight from dishwasher, filling with boiling water, emptying and then placing in oven for 20 minutes at 140°C then leave in oven until jam is ready.

Can one use dried currants in a jam. The fresh frozen berries will be a real treat this winter. I love blueberries, but I don’t ever remember eating it. Can organic cane sugar be used instead? Test for gelling on a plate that's been in the freezer, or use an instant-read thermometer (220 degrees F at sea level).

Add sugar, lemon and a sprinkle of salt. The powerful antioxidant flowering plant is simmered with zero refined sugar and perfect to top on pancakes, fresh toast or serve on happy hour cheese and crackers! We love fresh preserving foods for a later time in our Ball Mason Jars.

The depth of flavour is just incredible and totally delicious. Nothing processed here, just all natural homemade deliciousness! I’ve never come across dried blackcurrants but currants are usually more common in chutney than jam where they add a touch of sweetness. Use this no sugar added blueberry jam recipe without pectin on top of toast, for PB & J sammies, in yogurt, as a pancake topping for the easy blender oat flour pancakes, etc. I had to use refined sugar. Do you think this is the best way to proceed?

Well apart from my first ever jam where I used jam sugar but I didn’t like the stiff texture. Not quite sure why since I always seem to need it for canning recipes! It tastes out of this world good, no wonder it’s so popular! « Foraging Serviceberries (Amelanchier Sp.). Thank for sharing—–just so thrilled at the small amount of sugar.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Completely safe to eat and wears away after the fruits handling. Freeze the blueberries in the freezer for about 4 hours. Already lookin for more items. So for smaller wild blueberries less cooking time is needed, and full-bodied plump blueberries slightly longer. Take the pan off the heat and test a few drops of the jam on a frozen saucer and place in the fridge for a minute. Thank you for checking and let me know how it goes! Pour blueberry jam into washed jars leaving a 1/4 inch headspace. Blueberry jam recipes kinda tastes like candy that you will want to scoop out of the jar and eat year round!

Place in the freezer until ready to use. I’m excited to try it! of blueberries. Let the blueberries dry on a towel to release extra water. School is right around the corner, can you believe it? That conversation (thank you Lucy!) I never have pectin in my pantry. The blueberry is awesome!!! Simple Blueberry Jam - no pectin, just 3 ingredients! Thank you. Danielle is also the author for Dairy-Free Gluten-Free Baking Cookbook and Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Cookbook and founder of Delightful Mom Health, a line of high quality health supplements. I did simmer it for the full 10 minutes, and I did try a dollop on a plate I’d put in the freezer. I tried this with Organic Frozen Blueberries, Organic Coconut sugar and lime juice.

Blueberries are naturally low in pectin so apart from using only the firmest just ripe or slightly under ripe fruits you need to add pectin or lemon juice which aids the gelling process by interacting with the sugar.

My husband and I just finished making blueberry jam from your no-pectin recipe.

If when you push your finger through it the jam forms a crinkle and is gel like then it’s ready. Or arrange blueberries on the towel lined baking sheet. Hi, and welcome to Delightful Mom Food!

Hi, It is Aug.11, 2019. Remove any stems or stray leaves, and place berries in a colander and rinse thoroughly. Calling all blueberry lovers for this super simple 4-Ingredient Blueberry Jam Recipe (made with no pectin)! Put the dry blueberries in a Zip-lock back pushing out any extra air. Smokey Maple Roasted Chickpeas – vegan & gluten-free ActiFry recipe! This no-pectin Blueberry Jam Recipe is made with only 3 ingredients and is perfect for slathering on bread, English muffins, scones, and so much more! The important things are to sterilise your jars, freeze some saucers for testing and always stir your jam or you will burn it to the bottom or your pan. Plant based foods are packed with chemicals that help protect plants from germs, fungi, bugs, and other threats. No Sugar Added Blueberry Jam . Make a giant batch of this easy low sugar blueberry jam and have almost a months worth of spreadable homemade jam for school lunches. Learn how your comment data is processed. Put the blueberries, sugar and lemon juice into a preserving pan. Cook the jam until it reaches gel stage, about 20 minutes. If you wanted to can it I’m afraid that is not something I know about but would imagine this recipe could be converted. This powerful antioxidant berry is simmered with zero refined sugar and perfect to top on pancakes, fresh toast or serve on happy hour cheese and crackers! The other day I was at the gym chatting with my friend Lucy (amazingly fit friend with 5 children that you want your body to be perfectly muscular, lean and fit-like!) 12-Count - Set of 2 (Total 24 Jars), Granite Ware Enamel-on-Steel Canning Kit, 9-Piece, Norpro Canning Essentials Boxed Set, 6 Piece Set. I don’t see directions for putting the prepared jars in a water bath. Use fresh or frozen blueberries and add the jam to toast or in this healthy Peanut Butter and Jelly Oatmeal Bake, added to Chia and Hemp Seed Superfood Oatmeal and in this Strawberry Granola Crumble in place of strawberries. I was reading about the pros and cons of pectin use in jam the other day and the point was made that although by using pectin you achieve a shorter cooking time and a slightly higher yield, you don’t get the intensity of flavour that you get with a longer cooking time where more moisture is evaporated away. I'm Danielle, the creator of these simple, healthy, gluten-free recipes that are family friendly. Hi Barbara!Thank you for sharing your experience- I am so glad you enjoy this blueberry jam recipe!That will probably work (simmer time may need adjusting), although I have always pureed for my kids after making the jam. Let it simmer uncovered, until the mixture has thickened, about 7-10 minutes. My Simple Blueberry Jam is made with just 3 ingredients and no added pectin.

Tonight I made it again to ensure the perfect consistency. Excellent, maybe you’d like my Blueberry & Lime Jam recipe in that case? I would keep the pectin on hand though. Takes about 10 minutes to whip up! If you get the set too runny you can always pour back your jam and boil it up again until it reaches setting point. After 4 hours, transfer them to a freezer Zip-lock bag if not previously done. Thanks Mit, I’ve never ever used pectin in any of my jams so not sure why you would need it on hand. Your email address will not be published. Published August 17, 2016 Danielle Fahrenkrug | This post may contain affiliate links which won’t change your price but will share some commission. I didn’t know jam could be made with out pectin and such a very little amount of sugar. Throughout the simmering process, stir continuously and with a potato masher, mash the berries until thick in consistency. Yes, you can use processed sugar:-).

Add 2 cups of fresh or frozen fruit to a saucepan. Prep Time: 10 minutes. Wipe clean the rim of the jar and put on lids and bands.

I’m thinking I’ll process the partially thawed blueberries before I cook them, rather than after I’ve made the jam. https://thecreeksidecook.com/blueberry-preserves-no-pectin-recipe It came out very well. Simmer slowly for about 10 minutes on low. Do you think this may work, or have a different way to fix it? I’d like to try your jam recipe. Hi! Not at all and totally opposite! Your email address will not be published. I love black currants and never see them in jam but remember 70 yrs ago my mum making jam of our extra fruit – normally she would dry them in the oven which was wood fired and thus always ready for something. Pour finished jam into prepared jars, seal with 2 part lids.

Pineapple Ginger Coconut Lime Chicken (Slow Cooker), Free Printable: Thanksgiving Cork Place Card Holders & Gift Tags, Halloween Cookie Cake: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip, Soft Lemon Filled Cookie Recipe (Vegan & Gluten-Free). Let the jam cool then store in an airtight jar with a lid. Super easy. aka, you are what you eat! Peaches are still in season for another month or so, but I mentioned blueberries in a crumble.