Numbers which use three times as many digits in base 2 as in base 10.

Georgia doing "hand recount" of 2020 Presidential Election Ballots. What circumstances could lead to city layout based on hexagons? http://www.jargondatabase.com/Category/Military/Army-Jargon/Coming-In-Hot. They turn hot when launch preparations are underway or other activities are ongoing. They are different from restricted zones with particular defensive significance or bomb and missile activity. Where on the spectrum from the mundane "practicing approaches" to dangerous "simulated high speed dogfight operating heads-down" do most military flights lie? Word(s) in meaning: chat  At least all the targets I am familiar with. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. At some point the flight would turn back north, and eventually fly over Lake Okeechobee. Check out the full list. For various reasons the military is unlikely to disclose exactly whats happening. When the trees had been replaced by the sky, I leveled off. NASA, What situation would prompt the world to dump the use of Atomic and Nuclear Explosives entirely? The second post you referenced is exactly right. Military definition, of, for, or pertaining to the army or armed forces, often as distinguished from the navy: from civilian to military life. How can I handle a PC wanting to be a "twist" villain?

This Global Air blog is the best explanation I could find, although this post isn't a bad source. Reference request: Examples of research on a set with interesting properties which turned out to be the empty set. Mystery game from 2000s set on an island with a bell.

Our low-levels were usually done at 500 feet and 360 knots.

activities such as air combat maneuvers, air intercepts, acrobatics, Below are some of our favorites. Short of that, please, please get flight following, and do not fly through a MOA. Not sure what was going through his head when he saw me coming at him. Lemoore AFB is in the California Central Valley and the MOA is large. What is the difference between 'warning area' and 'ADIZ'? Watch your tail; you're coming in hot." There were troops on the road.

Its generally wise to stay away from these areas. Copyright © 2020 Military Alphabet – For Precise Military Communication, Expression of bewilderment at a FUBAR situation, An operation where things have gone disastrously wrong, Someone who lacks courage or is weak willed, Someone who is about to complete their tour of duty, Refers to something/someone that is excellent or has shown great skill. What's the difference between a Terminal Control Area and a Control Zone? Why does the same UTM northing give different values when converted to latitude? How can I better handle 'bad-news' talks about people I don't care about? Are they overlapped with each other? I peeled off my leads wing keeping him in sight as I lost altitude. Why is "hand recount" better than "computer rescan"? How to reject a postdoc offer a few days after accepting it? Its generally wise to stay away from these areas. No one uses a MOA for instrument approaches. new search; suggest new definition; Search for HOT in Online Dictionary Encyclopedia site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. When it is hot, Lemoore Approach hands you off to the controller directing the activities, but I forget what they are called. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. It came out of the trees. coming in hot.

That was a close call.

We generally don't have a lot of time to work in the area, so we have to maximize the training we get. Like many people in aviation, I've been around pilots who've flown in or through the edge of a Military Operations Area (MOA) while operating under visual flight rules. There was a minimum altitude for tactical jet aircraft of 500 feet, and instantly I saw the side door of a Huey.

The FAC, who was in a light aircraft in the target area, called us in to the target after a short wait. Make a minimal and maximal 2-digit number from digits of two 3-digit numbers. Just as an FYI, many restricted areas have times when they are hot and you can’t fly through them and times when they are cold and VFR and IFR traffic can fly through them. MathJax reference. Feature Preview: New Review Suspensions Mod UX, Creating new Help Center documents for Review queues: Project overview. Use MathJax to format equations. We were low at 500 feet and very fast. It is extremely common (at least in our training areas) to have dogfighting and other tactical training with airspeeds above 500 KCAS, and altitude changes of thousands of feet in seconds. "global warming" The target was in front of us when the FAC called, "Hit my smoke." I believe “coming in hot” was originally a military expression, first used (or certainly popularised) during the Vietnam conflict by the crews of armed helicopters.

In that case, the pilots stay clear for safety. What's usually going on in a “hot” military operations area (in the US)? Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

Live fire exercises will typically occur in a Restricted area vs a MOA. etc. Category theory and arithmetical identities. That speed did make navigation easy since it was at 6 miles per minute.

@Dave -- actually, re: Moncks Corner -- the F-16 was in the IFR system, on an instrument approach to KCHS. How to prove episodes of academic misconduct? What is the word used to express "investigating someone without their knowledge"?

I instinctively pulled back hard on the stick and rolled back towards my lead who was departing the area. There are few reputable sources on what typical operations are in military operating areas. Usually when ATC calls out traffic for you it is something like, “Traffic at 2 o'clock 5,500', 5 miles.” The call for these guys is more like, ”Traffic at 12 to 3 o'clock, 12,000' descending to 3,000', 5 miles.”. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Aviation Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for aircraft pilots, mechanics, and enthusiasts. Is the phrase “going missed” standard in the US? How to find out if Restricted Area is “hot” before taking off? (ATC attempted to give the F-16 vectors for the traffic, too!). The USS Nimitz was on the east coast of Florida and we were to practice inter-agency operations around Tyndall AFB. 2. We delivered our weapons and were egressing to the coast. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Which “warnings” are issued when a military aircraft is going to enter foreign airspace? My question is, what's usually going on in the MOA at the time and how bad would it be to enter it in VFR?

What is the difference between SUA and SAA? I had never seen this before. Note: We have 127 other definitions for HOT in our Acronym Attic. Its more than likely live firing, low altitude high speed operations, paratroop training, or anything else the military decides they need a block of airspace for. To this day I still remember the crew member standing in the door, able to see the visor in his flight helmet. Learn popular slang words and expressions based on the military alphabet. That was my favorite part of the flight, fast and low over the lake. PSP, HIPAA The area around the launch site is always hot, but the rest are usually cold. How can I ask colleagues to use chat/email instead of scheduling unnecessary calls? Our mission was to hold at a point near the coast and wait there for instructions from our Forward Air Controller (FAC). Gas Venting Stations: What's The Big Deal?

"Hot" simply means active (which ATC will know), you can find the start and end times here if you are curious. It only takes a minute to sign up. Examples: NFL, By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Acronym Finder, All Rights Reserved. If there's an emergency we will, of course, understand and please do whatever keeps you safe. We were involved in a great exercise within the Tyndall MOA. As we pulled out I saw a long line of tanks along a straight dirt road that seemed to go on forever. Its more than likely live firing, low altitude high speed operations, paratroop training, or anything else the military decides they need a block of airspace for. Usually related to aerial combat but can also relate to police chases etc. How can a chess game with clock take 5 hours? These were targets of opportunity. I was on a low level going south down the Florida panhandle. slang term for attempting to land an aircraft that is on fire, badly damaged, under attack or carrying unexploded bombs. ,random By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. I was approaching a long line of tanks and the treeline approached the horizon. Postal codes: USA: 81657, Canada: T5A 0A7, Your abbreviation search returned 46 meanings, showing only Military and Government definitions (show all 46 definitions), Note: We have 127 other definitions for HOT in our Acronym Attic, Search for HOT in Online Dictionary Encyclopedia, The Acronym Finder is Why are "south" and "southern" pronounced with different vowels? Are those kinds of operations daily, or evenly weekly, occurences in military operating areas? © 1988-2020, Being tailed or followed. How are special flight paths coordinated with ATC? Vandenberg FB, where they just launched the SpaceX rocket, has four restricted areas. According to this SB (p. 138) Activities. How do open-source projects prevent disclosing a bug while fixing it? Those sources seem to err on the side of exaggerated caution though, describing "lights off" operations, practice dogfights, and 500 KIAS speeds. During the flight south there was some motion in my peripheral vision, and out of nowhere a light single engine passed by my nose at co-altitude. I have flown through the Lemoore MOAs many times and watched fighters in a dogfight appear to literally fall out of the sky—descending 10,000′ in no time at all. See more. Why does Ray Bradbury use "flounder" for an action with a positive outcome? I can certainly understand why there's confusion surrounding MOA's, having been a Private Pilot long before I flew for the military, and I'm glad you asked the question. Thanks for contributing an answer to Aviation Stack Exchange! I couldn't resist the temptation to take a look.

We popped up in a loose combat formation, and I was on the wing. showing only Military and Government definitions (show all 46 definitions). It was a massive movement of equipment and personnel along the side of the road. rev 2020.11.11.37991, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Aviation Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. Turning right but can't see cars coming (UK). Usually they ask ATC if the MOA is hot, and sometimes the answer actually is "yes". I didn't see the Huey, but only saw the side door. Generally this refers to helicopters, it means to come in with guns blazing, or at least ready to blaze. Feedback, The World's most comprehensive professionally edited abbreviations and acronyms database, https://www.acronymfinder.com/Military-and-Government/HOT.html. This type of flying occurs multiple times per day, and it's extremely frustrating when civilian aircraft fly through the airspace without talking to ATC. Stopping a fight/intercept/practice bomb run because a Cessna wanted to transit the airspace generally results in a reset of the entire scenario and wastes countless dollars and training opportunities. Concerning your example from SC: in that example the pilot was only practicing approaches, so I wonder what the implications are for the "are typical operations in a MOA dangerous maneuvers?" Military Alphabet - For Precise Military Communication. It's fun to talk in code or make jokes using these terms.