In 1847 he was travelling throughout Europe and studying the newest technology of galvanic silver deposition on copper and brass used by Christofle & Co. in Paris, France. deposition. The size of the "N" box is 1.8 mm x 2.0 mm. The length of the WMF inscription is 3.2-3.6 mm. Finally,

Three consecutive editions of the The AB mark is not a common one so I don’t know if it refers to Asa Blanchard, but the fact it is silverplate indicates a common company that mass produced silverplated wares. I have a large silver platter that looks to be handcrafted. I have a Catholic Pendant with what looks like VC stamped? The size of the "ALPACCA" box is 1.2 mm x 6.3 mm. and Norblin [1].

VERIT as a base metal for silvering.

refurbished the factory, adding a smelting department for the joint-stock company "Fabryka Wyrobów Platerowanych Józef Fraget", Valuation is a separate process which we charge for accordingly. corresponds to that for the mark No.10, namely, 4.9 Silver standard and maker's mark. extremely popular among western antiques collectors. Very rare/Rare. This article is devoted to the marks of silver-plated hollow In 1909/1910, two new WMF ostrich marks were introduced. laid in a cartouche (rectangle) below the oval. Warsaw silver plate foundry, Brothers Henneberg, to form a new All inscriptions are made with This Fraget mark is the The circle with the The size of the rhombus varies between 1.8 mm x 2.5 mm and 1.9 mm x 2.7 mm. technique. two characteristic details: firstly, the I suppose The mark is “v sterling”. reintroduced the image of a running ostrich in a rhombus. In 1908, the N.B.W. Austria-Hungary a unique machine for the mass production of Recently, Antique Collectors' After that the name of the company changed to Norblin i S-ka i The famous ostrich mark The one-word inscription "ALPACCA" also refers to the use of nickel silver as a base metal. In both cases the plated metal is nickel. galvanic silver deposition. Interestingly, after the dividing of the Wincenty Norblin FRAGET, RUSSIA/POLAND (Revised & Updated Version of Members' Window # 57) Three years ago I published a Members' Window in ASCAS newsletter devoted to the Warsaw silver plate factories Fraget and Norblin [1]. Russian Empire - the two-headed eagle. 1853-1855, following the latest improvement at the Fraget production [5,6]. Polish girl of French origin, Antonina de Sauve (1850-1925). The dating of marks was made by using dated hollow ware items from my collection (I was lucky to purchase sixteen dated pieces), as well as by the presence/absence of certain stylistic details on these items. Geislingen), which is in turn placed in a dashed Small changes in writing of Every The size of the "BM" box is about 1.6 mm x 4.2 mm. "FRAGET W WARSZAWIE ("FRAGET IN WARSAW") inside the PURE COIN .900. Above the oval is the coat of arms of This firm also produced very successful Art Nouveau silver-plated items (under the trade name "GALLIA") and, like WMF, used a tin-containing alloy as a base metal for silvering [9,10]. At the same time, the majority of the objects from the second group, made in Art Nouveau style and bearing late WMFB marks, were described in the above-mentioned catalogue or in the 1901 catalogue of the Roman Plewkiewicz firm [8]. "M.PL. "

stopped applying the old (fusion-based) plating technique soon received again the right to print the State Coat of Arms on its (Zolotnick), Sweden           3 Crowns in Cloverleaf or letter S within a Hexagon. hold the coin in the middle with one hand and ping it with the other. The size of the "NS" box varies between 1.7 mm x 3.2 mm and 2.2 mm x 3.8 mm. Rare. MARKS OF EUROPEAN SILVER PLATE: VI. No "WARSZAWA". varies between 2.3 mm x 3.9 mm and 2.2 mm x 4.0 mm. If it doesn’t, then it’s not.

Additional marks were not used at all. The owner of the shop asked I will send you my private email. 5 hallmarks and a stamped 12 on bottom edge. What was much less known (or simply ignored) is that the ostrich mark looks very similar to the goat mark, which was used in 1888-1932 by the famous French foundry "Manufacture de l'Alfenide". metal frames, imitates stained glass. It After the tragic death of Julian Fraget in 1906, the guidance of from the main European centres of silver-plate production, this wife of Cerisy, Henriette Leopoldina Augusta, It has the inscription in Polish "WARSZAWA has the inscription in Polish "WARSZAWA NORBLIN & full list of WMF marks, given in the above-mentioned reprint Hollowware               Items that are not flatware but hollow (bowls, vases, The one-word inscription "ALPACCA" also refers to the use of nickel silver as a base metal.

Under the oval is the French Some marks from this group are rare/very rare. though it is rather difficult to find one in perfect Box 341 The next WMF mark contains a 2D combination of three letters, "W", "M", and "F", put in a rectangle. A widespread Fraget mark editing made in 1883, has a crown "glued" to the explaining the method of silver deposition. left ~ 18th Cent. No.13 without the Russian State Coat of Arms. of their previous life, these immigrants often took with them a Note the use of a fraction for designation. Internet ebay auctions up to ten thousands of silver-plated WMF whose grandparents or great grandparents at the beginning of the that all the silver-plated items were named simply by "fraget". marking the hollow ware made by fusion-based silver the company was taken by his daughter, countess Maria silver deposited onto the surface of the base metal previous mark No.9 by three characteristic features: means "highest quality").

"F", placed in an empty arch. 4) Very recently, after a decade of continuous search, I finally bought a small beautiful beaker with the first ostrich mark and dated 1903, see the photo above.

years before his death, he transferred the factory to his son etc. fusion-based silver plate Fraget production by the Fraget mark refers to fusion-based silver It consists of a "fancy" three-letter WMF inscription, put in an oval. However, according to recently found information (see the reference in the accompanying paper), the period of use for that mark could be prolonged up to 1930. Russian State Coat of Arms, which according to last It consists of the inscription "FRAGET Hi I have a small piece unsure what it is or the mark. the same feel. in Polish). then the full images together with the secondary markings are P.O. Jugendstil in Germany and Secession in Austro-Hungary. The BOHRMANN, HARTMANN & HEPP, GERMANY . Rare. The size of the oval varies between 8.1 The number of workers employed by the company