If I was going to go vegan my family would have to join me or cook their own food. I am so happy for you that you achieved some very positive results after just 31 days. Without uttering the v word, people just know. There will be both non-vegan haters and vegan haters.

So glad this is working for you. A NOTE ABOUT RELEVANT ADVERTISING: We collect information about the content (including ads) you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites. Consuming it quickly and conveniently as a vegan can be tough so I turn to the best vegan protein powders for extra help. I couldn't eat just salads, so I knew I was going to have to actually cook something vegan. Knowing that this was a limited time experiment helped when cravings for fried chicken set in during that third week.

So when I look at veggie alternatives at the store, I find that they're sometimes loaded with other nasty stuff that kind of defeats the health benefits. You can do this! If you start feeding them more vegetarian food than meat, they will probably revert to their wilder selves and start hunting at night, covertly ha-ha.

I’ve never experienced such unbridled disdain in my life - and as someone who sported a very questionable undercut for many years, that’s a big call.

What is the experience of going vegan for a month? Secondly, I commend you for embarking upon this challenge and succeeding. Chitrangada Sharan from New Delhi, India on November 07, 2017: Excellent informative article , which tells in so many ways about how to eat healthy!

Suhail - Congratulations! We know it is good for us but habits are hard to let go of.

I took the Vegan for a Month Challenge out of curiosity, an interest in health, and a desire to live a more humane and compassionate life. It's not just that it's difficult, I've been told horror stories.

Chitrangada - Thanks for your personal experience.

Looking forward to trying some of these!

FlourishAnyway (author) from USA on November 13, 2017: Suhail - We have more moles in our yard than anyone. I know several people who are vegans, though, and don't think they're weird. As I learned more about modern factory farming practices and what was actually in my food, I knew I had to give the vegan diet an honest try. Another Saturday, another dinner party. They are good tasting. P.P.S. I felt bloated and sluggish and experienced acid indigestion and digestive problems. Again, I truly appreciate this article, Flourish. You can find good stuff to eat like this dish of sauteed cherry tomatoes on angel hair pasta.

Have a good weekend! I was shocked when friends who I know and love made no qualms about speaking up on their view of veganism.

I don't know why, but I just don't eat fruit the way I did as a kid. This time my friend Victoria kindly whips up a vegan tikka masala, but I can't have the incredible chocolate and banana bundt cake with salted caramel icing she's baked for dessert. In fact I ended up with a nasty acne outbreak at the end of my month. Vegans are super freaking extreme. I know what you're thinking.

As my neurologist jokingly showed me photos of the lamb chop dinners he had made for his family, he emphasized that I'm not cured but encouraged me to keep eating a plant-based diet, adding that it seems to be working for me. If you're going to eat out, look at the menu in advance and have a plan.

This TikTok Coffee Creamer Hack Is So Genius. try ready-made vegan commercial products.

But I'm sure there are others out there. They include all your favourite things to eat from pizzas to burgers, healthy breakfasts and delicious desserts too! Health often motivates people to explore veganism. In fact, I discovered a lot of foods I would never have tried. One thing I've learnt from being vegan is that you may think something will be friendly to your diet, but there is often hidden honey or dairy snuck in there somewhere. FlourishAnyway (author) from USA on November 25, 2017: Poppy - It's definitely a lifestyle change which on a long-term basis I'm still adjusting to. It took this to get me "unhooked."

My best friend at university was vegan and it was really interesting seeing her cook such delicious meals with no animal products in them. Though I'm for being a kinder and gentler species, I also realize there's a food chain. Devika Primić from Dubrovnik, Croatia on November 04, 2017: An incredible challenge to go vegan for a month. I hope that answered your question. There's no better time to try veganism, given all the options available. Or vegetarian. You'd think for my first experiment in going vegan I would choose a time such as Veganuary, the month when around 115,000 other people trial a vegan diet too.

In a world where people ship American horses overseas to slaughter them for food, every action of compassion counts. This made me much more conscious about label reading and ingredients.

Find out about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out. I had suddenly given up beef altogether in 1995, and in more recent years, I had been trying to reduce the amount of pork I ate, although I admit I loved bacon. I walked more upright without suddenly stooping, "folding over," or reaching out to an object or nearby person to steady myself for support.

FlourishAnyway (author) from USA on November 01, 2018: Paula - For me, educating myself about the food, ingredients, the practices that go into producing it was enough to enact large and lasting changes in me. They exclude from their diets animal-based products.

Good inspiration, as everyone else has found from this tour de force.

It wanted to clock out with a cup of tea and head of broccoli. Like you, I don't think I'll ever be 100% vegan or vegetarian, just more mindful and moving in that direction. Flourish, my power to you and that vegan diet that worked wonders for you.

Even though I have experienced energy-draining MS for 15 years, I felt more energetic with fewer migraines. What will people say?

After seven days I feel lethargic, emotional and I keep waking up in the night (normally I sleep like a log), but my energy levels are improving.

No sense in overdoing something even though you're a feline obligate carnivore, eh? That's a wonderful approach, as many vegans recommend a transition.

I cannot unsee and unread some information. Yes, reader, I was a vegan. and I never realized that you had MS. And to think it has helped so much just being on this diet for a month!

I twas amazed at how deliciously sweet carrots taste when sugar is removed from the diet. I became more aware of ingredients in food (look up rennet, for example) and animals' massive role being exploited within the food industry. My mum visits towards the end of week two.

I don't think I will include K2 in this challenge :-). Demas W Jasper from Today's America and The World Beyond on December 05, 2017: Most important is the great response your body gave you. This was supposed to be a story about how I started going vegan for a month and emerged with glowing skin, newfound energy and a complete health overhaul as my rewards. Larry - Thanks for sharing your perspective. The vegan dairy choices would be something I'd have to look into (I do, however, drink unsweetened almond milk).

Thank you for your thoughtful organization. Most vegans also exclude honey. Another fact: veganism is unpopular.

It really depends on the mix of your diet, what you consumed before, and probably where you live as well. I think this will be a process, but we'll see where it goes! Day two and...err...I'm feeling a little less great. Cringe.

I'm convinced that much of the reason I feel great is not just because I'm cutting out certain things but because I'm being forced to add in lots of good stuff like fruit and vegetables.

If fruits and vegetables are not plentiful where you live or if you lean towards the expensive and exotic fruits and vegetables, then that could ramp up your costs. It might earn you dirty looks, but it isn’t a dirty word.

I also see the virtue of vegetarianism.

How could I rescue one species and endorse the slaughter of the other? So glad to hear you are feeling better with this new lifestyle!

Day three and I have to get up at 5 am to help at a work event.