She reported back, quite happily that her kids not only didn’t mind the switch but asked if she added extra cheese because it tasted better this time. I dug our family out of debt by reducing our grocery expense to less than $300 a month.

It’s worth it to switch out a couple items each week and taste test them with your family. Here are our results: Kraft Macaroni & Cheese v.s Great Value Mac-n-Cheese : Full disclosure, we did NOT try this one on our own family as I don’t purchase boxed mac-n-cheese, my kids have no idea what it tastes like. If you are a baker, you are sure to be familiar with the Nielsen-Massey brand. Be the first! Your email address will not be published. Kraft Macaroni & Cheese v.s Great Value Mac-n-Cheese, McCormick Real Vanilla Extract v.s Aldi’s Store brand Vanilla, Hershey’s Chocolate syrup vs. Homemade Copycat clone Syrup. All- Purpose Flour vs. Great Value Flour (which is nearly $1 less per 5lb bag!) We were too! Rice Krispies v.s Walmart Store Brand– the kids didn’t seem to notice the switch, however, dh -who is a HUGE fan of rice krispie treats, made them and then couldn’t stop commenting about something “just not being right, the texture was off”, etc. As long as they had a glass of milk to go with the cookies, they didn’t seem to care either way. So how can you tell the difference? No one has asked a question yet! I do, however, purchase store brand items such as chips, pretzels, cereals and crackers. Unbeknown to my unsuspecting family, I purchased several store brand items and literally swapped them with their brand name counterpart. Did you know that Name brands cost 20-50% less than their name brand counterpart? Ritz Crackers vs Great Value Crackers– Kids were unable to taste the difference at all, I thought they tasted like they had a bit less salt than the Ritz, but all in all, we were happy to make the switch.

Not sure if the quality is better or not from either generic version or name brand, since it all came from the same place. In the event that you aren’t happy with the switch, you can always get your money back.

For store-brands and lower price tag options, you’ll usually just see ‘vanilla’ extract, but the more expensive options generally have other names, like Mexican or Tahitian, but they don’t indicate their flavor profile.

Many of the companies do that, there is a manufacture of chocolate chips, and they put out life if I remember 5 different packaging names.

+ Ask a question .

– no difference. This vanilla is a good generic for McCormick for me. Meanwhile, the price of imitation vanilla … Also, America's Test Kitchen said McCormick Vanilla Extract …

Instead, we enlisted the help of a friend with 3 kids ages 5, 8 and 11. We would love to hear your experiences with swapping out foods with your family as well! While the aroma and flavor aren’t nearly as nuanced as the Neilsen-Massey, the Costco Pure Vanilla Extract has a rich caramel and floral aroma. Pure vanilla extract from McCormick, one of the most well-known brands, costs 33 percent more now than it did back then. He would stock the shelves at night. Then whenever it gets low fill the jar up again with vodka.

SEE OUR DISCLOSURE FOR MORE INFO.

They didn’t want to throw out the lesser quality goods, so they were sold as generic. The syrup was a touch thinner than the original, but the flavor was exactly the same. All- Purpose Flour vs. Great Value Flour (which is nearly $1 less per 5lb bag!) It’s … Oreos vs. Twist-o’s (Dollar Store Item)-The kids don’t eat too many store-prepared foods, but we do buy oreos on occasion during the summer months. This company is known for providing high… McCormick Real Vanilla Extract v.s Aldi’s Store brand Vanilla – This one was a miserable fail for me, I ended up using nearly 3 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla … Products available include Madagascar Bourbon, Tahitian, Mexican, Pure Vanilla Extract, and Organic Madagascar Bourbon. Nielsen-Massey Vanillas has been in business since the early 20th century, and it knows its stuff. Hershey’s Chocolate syrup vs. Homemade Copycat clone Syrup: No one knew that I made the syrup myself, but my dh was thrilled that Hershey finally “Changed their recipe so it’s easier to stir”. Think of vanilla extract like olive oil.Keep a solid, reasonably priced supermarket brand on hand for everyday baking, and save the spendy, more robust vanilla products — like premium extracts, vanilla-bean paste, and whole vanilla beans — for recipes that are very vanilla-forward and can let your investment shine, like sugar cookies, vanilla cakes, pastry cream, and buttercream frosting. When we last evaluated vanillas in 2009, a real extract won. Here’s a general guide to the flavor profiles: 1.

I won’t skimp on baking supplies like extracts and certain types of seasonings/spices. When we last evaluated vanillas in 2009, a real extract won. Just take a mason jar, split and scrape two vanilla beans, and fill it to the brim with vodka. You can too! – no difference. And one is a store brand. My dad used to work at a Murray Cookie factory, and he said that if, for example, a batch of the PB bars that are coated in chocolate came out with too little PB, or if the chocolate coating was too thin, they went into a store brand packaging, instead of Murray’s packaging. Several years ago we ran a “scientific” budget experiment in our home. Although you can't buy directly from the company, these vanilla extracts are available everywhere at grocery stores, gourmet sho… Madagascar or Bourbon: traditional, full-bodied, strongest flavored of all the beans 2. That’s because vanilla is a notoriously picky plant that needs to be harvested by hand. All- Purpose Flour vs. Great Value Flour (which is nearly $1 less per 5lb bag!) McCormick Real Vanilla Extract v.s Aldi’s Store brand Vanilla – This one was a miserable fail for me, I ended up using nearly 3 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla to match the flavor of a single teaspoon of McCormicks.

Great Value Pure Vanilla Extract: Pure Great for baking. I wanted to see for myself whether my kids had turned into food snobs based on marketing ploys or whether the brands truly tasted different or of lesser quality.