Pour batter into prepared pan. Set aside. Make sure to fry them in batches, so that the surface off the pan is comfortably filled, otherwise the loukoumades will probably stick together and the temperature of the oil will decrease.

If you are in a mood for some chocolate, replace the honey with chocolate sauce. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. I served it for my book club and it was a huge hit. Stir in lemon juice, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Your email address will not be published. For the Honey Syrup: In a saucepan, combine honey, 1 cup sugar and water. Repeat this procedure until the surface off the pan is comfortably filled. Deep fry the loukoumades in hot oil. I brought this to a Greek themed dinner. Can I make them in advance? Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Thanks for sharing Jan. Congrats!

Authentic, traditional, locally sourced Greek recipes and nutritional advice. Oh and you can always read this delicious recipe in Greek here Συνταγή Παραδοσιακοί λουκουμάδες με μέλι και καρύδι. I've made this cake on several occasions and it was a hit each time. Ah thank you! From what I remember, a teaspoon of instant yeast is about 2 grams so this recipe would be about 7 tea spoons. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Greek donuts (loukoumades) are traditionally served soaked in hot honey syrup, sprinkled with cinnamon and garnished with chopped walnuts or toasted sesame seeds. A Greek cake that tastes a little like the much more complicated Greek dessert, baklava. They so tasted delicious so no complaints at all about shape. I cut the syrup recipe by half and I used mostly honey and about a quarter of the white sugar. I used whole wheat flour and pecans and added a splash of vanilla extract to the eggs since I didn't have the orange zest. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan. You saved Greek Honey Cake to your. Beat in the eggs one at a time. If it sizzles the oil is ready.

Beat in the eggs one at a time. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy. This was great! Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. I just ate 4 pieces!! The flavors remind me of baklava. I think it would have been way too sweet with the whole recipe. Παραδοσιακοί λουκουμάδες με μέλι και καρύδι, Giouvetsi recipe (Greek Beef stew with Orzo pasta), Unit Conversions and useful substitutions. Hi, you have a typo in the flour measurement. 423 calories; protein 4.5g 9% DV; carbohydrates 62.3g 20% DV; fat 19.3g 30% DV; cholesterol 77.4mg 26% DV; sodium 196.3mg 8% DV.

While the loukoumades are fried, use a slotted spoon to push them into the oil and turn them on all sides, until golden brown. I typically use about half of what is prepared. This was a good cake and I enjoyed the simplicity but probably won't resort to this again as a substitute for baklava. It’s just my perfectionist nature. For the syrup I used about a cup of honey with like 5 tablespoons (a splash) of orange juice and one tablespoon of sugar and it is so good!! For the Honey Syrup: In a saucepan, combine honey, 1 cup sugar and water.

I made the Loukoumades and they kept until the next day nicely. 3 1/4 cup is 26 oz NOT 16 oz. Stir in the walnuts. Tastes like baklava. Greek Yogurt with Honey and Walnuts recipe (Yiaourti me meli) A delicious Greek Yogurt with Honey recipe, drizzled with walnuts, infused with vanilla essence and sprinkled with fragrant cinnamon! I'm a tough grader -especially on desserts -but this was very good.

You don’t want your loukoumades to become mushy and less crunchy on the outside. Pour the warm chocolate over the loukoumades, sprinkle with some roughly chopped walnuts or almonds and enjoy. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Pour honey syrup over the cake. Simmer for 1-2 minutes, stirring continuously, until the sugar has dissolved. Kataifi is a traditional Greek dessert filled with nuts and covered in a honey syrup. 62.4 g The first time I made it my husband said it tasted just like the cake him mother used to make! Loukoumades are little bite-sized fluffy sweet honey balls (the Greek version of donuts), which are deep fried to golden and crispy perfection. Simply irresistable! However, flour is not liquid – a cup of flour is actually half air. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. They turned out great but weren’t round.

Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into diamond shapes. I’m making a batch now. What is it: Basically, this is a festival dessert dish often made during events like Lent, Easter, and… Repeat with the rest of the dough. This recipe was easy!

But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Place the loukoumades on some kitchen paper to drain.

this came out just as amazing as I thought it would! Info. Can we use vegetable oil instead of olive oil? Or does it will get soggy ? Total Carbohydrate Always dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water and let the dough to rise in warm environment. Heat the oil to high heat until it begins to bubble. To achieve the perfect texture for your loukoumades give the dough time to rise and it will reward you with its distinctive air-y fluffiness. Greek Honey Cake Honey Cake is the staple of Greek desserts. The cake was moist and had good flavor. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into diamond shapes. I make them on the day I would like to have them and they tend to keep fresh for another day.

And please can you give yeast measurement in tsp , I am planning to use instant yeast . 1 cup of Liquid is about 8 fluid oz. For the Honey Syrup: In a saucepan, combine honey, 1 cup sugar and water.

I added lemon zest instead of orange.

I wouldn’t advise making it in advance, they won’t get soggy but they won’t be as crispy. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Thekitchn.com. I used a round pan and it looks just like the main picture :) this will be made OFTEN!!! 3.25 cups of all purpose flour is actually 14.3 ounces, so 16 oz is a little too much flour, but you’ll never know the difference in this recipe. Last but not least, Greek-style honey cake is a sort of basic staple all over Greece. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Into the same bowl, add the rest of the ingredients for the dough and whisk at high speed (for about 2 minutes) until the mixture becomes a smooth batter. It looks fantastic and will definitely impress your guests! Keywords: loukoumades, greek donuts, greek honey balls. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing just until incorporated.

Loukoumades are little fluffy sweet honey balls, deep fried to golden and crispy perfection. Nice to make when you don't have much time. Thank you so much for the recipe, it’s so well explained and looks so delicious. Diples. Loukoumades are little bite-sized fluffy sweet honey balls (the Greek version of donuts), which are deep fried to golden and crispy perfection. Wait till they are fully cold. Very moist cake, often found at Greek food festivals.

I omitted the nuts and it was still good. Next time I might reduce the amount of honey and sugar in half. Stir in lemon juice, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Greek donuts (loukoumades) are traditionally served soaked in … This one is a keeper! When preparing this loukoumades recipe, the key is to use the right temperature. Hope everyone enjoyed them!

It was abig hit and easy to make. My only recommendation is to spare the honey dressing - if you use all that is recommended, you'll end up with honey soup with cake in it. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. To make diples, dough is rolled into thin strips, fried in hot oil and then covered in syrup and … If I cook then will they be in tomorrow with or without the honey. Always Have them at the Greek Festival here in Alaska (this weekend) but they never put the recipe in their neat church cookbook!!! So this year decided to google “Greek Honey Puffs” (Loukoumades) and here your website is!!!! Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan. You should dip the spoon in the water every time, so that the batter doesn’t stick on it. So go ahead spoil yourself! Pair this …

The perfect traditional loukoumades (Greek donuts) are crispy and golden on the outside and fluffy and airy in the inside. The very best traditional Loukoumades recipe (Greek donuts)! Very tasty. Stir in lemon juice, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. No matter what, don’t cover them with cling film when they are hot. Amount is based on available nutrient data. the best one yet! The trick to making them round is using a very small mechanical melon baller – it’s built the same as a mechanical ice cream scooper, but smaller. 1 cup of all purpose flour is about 4.4 ounces. go over the top and drizzle these delicious Greek donuts (loukoumades) with some rich chocolate sauce! Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. I increased the amount of cinnamon to 1 tsp. Pour honey syrup over the cake. Our very best traditional homemade Loukoumades recipe (Greek donuts) for you to recreate these little bites of heaven from scratch! Dip a tablespoon in some water and spoon out some of the dough into the hot oil.

(His mother was an outstanding greek cook!).

Give this traditional Greek loukoumades recipe (lukumades) a try and enjoy with a full spoon of vanilla ice cream on top! Pour honey syrup over the cake. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy.

I used Fleishmann’s Yeast (in the triple pack) and each pack is 1/4oz – so I used two packs, which was 4.5tsp of yeast. For the Honey Syrup: In a saucepan, combine honey, 1 cup sugar and water. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into diamond shapes. To prepare the chocolate sauce for the loukoumades, add in a saucepan the sugar and water and bring to a simmer. When done, place the loukoumades on a large platter, drizzle with the heated honey and sprinkle with cinnamon and chopped walnuts.