Place the jar in a cool, dark place for 8-12 weeks and shake it from time to time. The recipes look great! Most recipes I use specify extracts.

How would you describe it? You don’t want the white part. Hi Virginia, whatever you want to do with the lemon rinds works. Chris, Denmark. I think it’s generally recommended that they be used within a year. The views and opinions on this site are just that, our view and opinions.

Thanks! You could even add some to your plain yogurt or splash it into your fruit smoothie for a zing! Wash the lemons and pat them dry. This DIY lemon extract is made with two basic ingredients, lemon zest and vodka. I came here last summer, used your recipe for vanilla and finally used it yesterday to make snickerdoodles.

Lemon juice is squeezed from the fruit of the lemon. It’s okay, as long as your breath doesn’t smell like lemons…………. However the beans were freshly bought and a good quantity – I thought if I’m going to the trouble of making some, it might as well be made using good ingredients.

Use 12 whole, raw skinless almonds and one pint 80 proof (40% alcohol by weight) vodka for every pint of extract that you want to make. For this recipe, you will definitely want to make sure you use only organic citrus.

You'll get the same great taste you're used to, without any of the alcohol. I see you’ve done more than a few extracts in your day and I was wondering if I were to make a watermelon extract if I would have to soak that in alcohol as well?

I get the half pound bag which costs 27.00 and free shipping. Any chance you can use Whiskey or Brandy or Bourbon?

It is during this time of the year which makes preserving lemons ideal.

I’ve bought slivered almonds, vodka, and put it in the closet. Combine the zest from 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon sugar and ½ cup 80 proof (40% alcohol by weight) vodka. Let the jar sit in a cool, dry place for 6-8 weeks, shaking every couple of days.

Can’t wait to make lemon extract! Place 3 cups of 80 to 100 proof vodka into a quart size mason jar or 2 pint size jars. I want just a bit of pistachio extract and I wish it to be real pistachios. I make my vanilla with vegetable glycerin and it taste great.

Although glycerin is technically a sugar alcohol, it is not considered “alcoholic” in the amounts typically consumed in extracts. The starch in the potatoes in fermented in alcohol, which is then distilled.

Lemon extract has a strong citrus flavor without the acidity of lemon juice.

Once the peels have lost much of their color, strain them out and bottle the extract in a glass container and store away from direct sunlight. Your picture looks like it is about 3x what I am getting from one lemon.

I have a question though… I used a large 2 gallon beverage dispensing jar and my extract is very cloudy… Is that normal? You may get mixed results because some of the aromatic compounds may also be driven off with heat. It can also be made with food grade glycerin, but it takes much longer to infuse. 5. Strain your extract through a coffee filter and store it in a dark glass jar or bottle (if possible) in a cool, dark spot. Given that some folks are careless, I have to consider worst case scenarios, but thank you for sharing your experience.

I’ll be pinning this!

I Luv ur natural talk plz Hw can I extract without using alcohol…. Making a non-alcoholic vanilla extract is simple and a great first extract to try.

They last in the cupboard for months. When it’s as strong as you want, strain out the zest and store the extract in a bottle…preferably a dark bottle. You can also use smaller bottles if you like, just make sure you have one vanilla bean per bottle. This is my quick and easy to make homemade lemon extract today.

If you have an aromatic herb, pungent fruit, or interesting spice around, feel free to experiment. Update: I just added a jpg copy of the labels, shrunk down to fit on 4 oz bottles. Use the rind of 5-7 oranges (depending on how strong you want it) for every 8 ounces of vodka. I have a potted Meyer Lemon tree (first year) – its under a light by the window for the winter (too cold for outside here in Western NY) but I put it out on the deck for the summer months. It tastes great! That is genius!

One tablespoon of extract plus one tablespoon of water should be about equal to two tablespoons of lemon juice. Or, does it mean I didn’t use enough almonds, and it’s too late to fix? Bitter almond pits can be found at Chinese store. The longer you let it steep or infuse, the stronger the lemon flavor. If you want to try it, it would probably be best to dehydrate or freeze dry the cherries first, to concentrate the cherry flavor.

But as far as I know, almonds themselves are native to the Middle East and other parts of Eurasia and Africa, so maybe buying from Iran will garner a more “organic” product (seeing as they’re native to that region). The citrus extracts might not be as strong as store extracts, but they should still taste like citrus. Oh my gosh, it smells so much better than the store-bought brands! Filed Under: In the Kitchen, Recipes Tagged With: Lemons. Great little post you have here.

For zesting, I would definitely try to find organic lemons. I really believe we will be able to barter this item sooner than later. If you have a vacuum sealer, you could carefully clip the end to open and reseal until your next use. Store bought extracts do have an alcohol base. I hope you take the time to learn how to make a homemade lemon extract. The color and flavor will deepen with age.

Extracts made with glycerin should keep for up to four years in your pantry.

4. Hi Nick, now I want to make some orange extract!!!

Flavorings typically have an oil base. It contains only Purified water, organic stevia leaf extract, natural flavors, vanilla extract, natural aromatics. Hi Camille, oh my goodness I would love a Meyer lemon tree!! I also like to craft, so making cute tags is just another fun thing to do.

Vanilla.com discusses the differences: Beans vary in flavor and fragrance when they are grown in different parts of the world. The reader who advised on putting the beans directly in a jar of alcohol is correct in my experience. Put it in a brown paper bag and put it in the pantry. Lemons, along with many other fruits and vegetables, contain a waxy coating on the skin of the produce. January 20, 2014 By Angi Schneider 17 Comments, Yesterday, I made a batch of lemon extract in my attempt to use as much of the lemons as I can.