Storage Guidelines for Fruits & Vegetables Cold storage of fruits and vegetables was used extensively by our ancestors to keep food after the harvest season. How­To: Store Fruits and Vegetables Tips and tricks to extend the life of your produce without plastic. So if an item is listed as “store in a cool dry place” assume I’m referring to it in its whole, unground form – once you grind it you should use it within a couple days or store it in the freezer. Simply enter your email address. For vegetables, remove or loosen tight bands and store in plastic bags, unless otherwise noted in the chart below. For more information download our Home Storage Guide, Eat from the rainbow!

You can either freeze, refrigerate, or even keep them on the countertop depending on the fruit/veggie. Hello. I love what you’ve put together here! trailer

0000032289 00000 n 2. Storing fruits and veggies is quick and easy! Where do I store peppers?! It’s like all of my common sense goes out the window because they’re not listed So I store them in the fridge, because that kind of makes sense.

Tip: To ripen, keep at room temperature in a paper bag until soft and fragrant. This doesn’t work one hundred percent of the time but it’s not a bad guideline for things you’re not sure about. Most fruits will last about 5 days after being sliced (some vegetables a few days longer) as long as you follow a few rules: store them in an airtight container and always refrigerate cut produce. With only 2 people in our household, it is easy to buy more than we need and end up with waste.

. Store pineapple upside down for a day or two at room temperature or in the fridge to allow the sweetness to spread throughout the fruit. 0000000916 00000 n Print it out and stick it on your fridge for quick reference. If it’s produce, you’re not alone. Your email address will not be published. Dry the leaves and store them in a clean plastic bag with a few paper towels. Cilantro vs. Parsley: What’s the Difference?

0000030405 00000 n 0

Thanks for the nifty sheet ^_^ I printed it and posted it in my kitchen for quick reference!

Print out a copy and keep it handy where you unpack your groceries. Yippee! 0000001276 00000 n 0000025966 00000 n

And I store small jalapeños and chills in the freezer since they thaw quickly enough for stirfrys. Eggplant should be stored in a cool area and used within a couple days of purchase. Most greens from root vegetables will stay fresh about 3 days. I love peppers. Once at home, store all fresh-cut ready-to-eat prepared produce in the refrigerator to keep it cold.

0000002558 00000 n 0000056745 00000 n They soften ten times faster at room temperature. Separate root vegetables (radishes, beets, turnips, etc.) 0000021694 00000 n

The same goes for lettuce and other leafy greens, which will last from 3 days up to a week depending on how delicate the leaves are. A practical and straightforward guide that encourages home-cooking with whole foods. I can’t believe I forgot peppers! Every day, more than half a pound of produce was wasted. startxref We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. 0000031795 00000 n Arugula, bagged and in clamshells. 24 0 obj<> endobj TIp: You can stock up on lettuce when on sale. 0000002086 00000 n When you sign up, you can download a free copy of my ebook, "Storing Fresh Fruit and Vegetables".

Get the latest recipes, fresh ideas and smart shopping tips delivered right to your inbox! Garlic and onions should be kept at room temperature (or cooler) in a well-ventilated area. To help, we created a produce storage cheat sheet (scroll down) that you can print, hang on your fridge, and consult when you’re unpacking your groceries. Hopefully this fruit and vegetable storage chart will help you answer these questions. 0000001455 00000 n 0000056555 00000 n from their greens and store each separately in plastic bags. If you want to ensure you’ll eat all that healthy produce before it goes bad, it helps to know how long it will last and where to store it for maximum shelf life. For even more detail check out the new “Storing Fresh Fruit and Vegetables” e-book. 0000049252 00000 n

I hope you’re in the graphic design world or somewhere where you can use the talent you have!