The Latin root of her name, eques, means horseman or knight.Combined, we would have a knight mare.. Not so. Madame Sosostris Lines 43-59 of T. S. Eliot’s The Waste Land present Madame Sosostris as the Tarot card-reading psychic who bears bad news. 43 Madame Sosostris, famous clairvoyante, 44 Had a bad cold, nevertheless. She might be another version of Marie. Read the threads in Talking Tarot, or read more archived threads. of service. Winter kept us warm, coveringEarth in forgetful snow, feedingA little life with dried tubers. So, I offer to the typists of unreal cities my wicked pack of cards. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Much of their music is original and draws upon a wide range of musical influences. Line 49.

Use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. This is an additional instance I which Madame’s wicked cards present another morbid trick. Madame Sosostris is a mock Egyptian name suggested to Eliot by “Sesostris, the sorceress of Ecbatana in Aldous Huxley’s novel Chrome Yellow”. Want to get a price estimate for your Essay? Um, what? The fortune-teller Madame Sosostris appears in the third stanza of “The Burial of the Dead.” Like the Sybil in the Epigraph, she—a clairvoyant—can see into the future. Madame Sosostris logically deduces that he has died, and she gives this conjecture in the form of elaborately construed predictions from a pack of Tarot cards. Our stories are important and fascinating and complicated–we deserve some sort of representation, damn it. Look! This fortune-teller is known across Europe for her skills with Tarot cards. Works Cited Gibbons, Tom. We like to think this was on purpose, since it enhances the sense of not knowing where you're going (in a symbolic sense) in the modern world. Next, Sosostris pulls you "the man with three staves" or three staffs, which is an. The speaker says that instead of spring being the best time of year, "Winter kept us warm, covering / Earth in forgetful snow" (5-6). Line 50. The speaker shifts again, this time to someone who's peering out over an "Unreal" or fake modern city whose "brown fog" suggests that it isn't the cleanest of places. Madame Sosostris, famous clairvoyante, Had a bad cold, nevertheless Is known to be the wisest woman in Europe, With a wicked pack of cards. Is your card, the drowned Phoenician Sailor,(Those are pearls that were his eyes. Sosostris says she does not find "The Hanged Man," which sounds like a good thing at first, but this card actually would've symbolized spiritual rebirth, as all you tarot buffs out there know. And they went on swanky vacays to boot. And I will show you something different from eitherYour shadow at morning striding behind youOr your shadow at evening rising to meet you;I will show you fear in a handful of dust. So you lose again. I see crowds of people, walking around in a ring.Thank you. But in this third section of Part I, the constant use of enjambment means I’m going to have to break up the lines and …