Start with the website for your country’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs / Department of State. Model United Nations (also Model UN or MUN) is an academic simulation of the United Nations that aims to educate participants about current events, topics in … Wikipedia. 10. These are the ways that policy-makers set policy. did you mean ECOSOC or is there something called EOSOC that I don't know about? If you are in a regional organization like NATO or OAS, then you are still affected by the Charter, particularly Chapter VII on international security and Chapter VIII on regional arrangements. Links. With the web, research is made easier and all embassies are posted with many sharing helpful information on a variety of topics.

It's published by the United Nations and is 327 pages long. The document "Basic Facts about the United Nations" is probably the most comprehensive single document that will help you understand how the UN works. these are the primary websites I use and recommend to newcomers. Background Guide.

by Ryan. Pay attention during informal sessions and participate in ad hoc meetings. Attendance at an MUN conference is the best experience in learning how to use parliamentary procedure. I needed to do my research to the point that it made me feel comfortable in committee. Not knowing this information as your country’s representative can be potentially embarrassing. How to Research for MUN Research is one of the keys to success in Model United Nations. But anyways, whitehouse.gov has lots of policy solutions to all sorts of issues because the United States is involved in so much domestic and abroad. : It is very difficult to formulate a policy, both in written form (Policy Statement and Resolution) and in spoken form (Lobbying, Opening Speech and Debating) without knowing about the country or organization represented and having specific knowledge of the issues to be debated. Legislators and judges may say something different, but as a representative of your country, you work for the Head of State / Head of Government.

Choose the year the conflict has started or the year which it has reached its greatest moment yet. Practicing a committee meeting before the conference is also very helpful. Large publications like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal also have in-depth coverage on their websites. Put in the country you are research about, and reports will be found on their human right violations. I wrote position papers at the last minute, printed out a bunch of random websites the night before conferences, and read a fraction of it on the bus. Wikipedia is great too, especially if you've just started to learn about something new. Note that recent speeches may indicate a change in policy away from however your country has voted in the past, especially if your government has changed administrations. In some cases, a nation may be too poor, too isolated, or dealing with other problems that keep it from being a major player, but the solution to an issue listed for debate will affect all nations at some point in the future.

Just be aware of their biases, and make sure their ideas conform to your country’s policies. But I soon realized this was putting me at a disadvantage. Wikipedia might not be edited as rigorously as a print publication, but you are not writing a paper – you’re attending a Model UN conference. 8. Either you, another delegate, or your chair will inevitably refer to something written in the committee’s background guide during a conference. These will all come from a variety of sources. You can do all the research you want, and you can be really fast and efficient at it, but none of that matters until you boil down what you’ve read into ideas that you can explain in your own words. Voting Record. 5. Country Profile. If your country’s leaders have not clearly articulated a policy on your topic, then you can infer it from how your country has voted on past resolutions, treaties, and conventions (or whether they were even present). Academic Papers. Also, what your chair has written about is what he’ll focus on in committee. Actions speak louder than words. Rather, the issues have been around for a number of years and affect all member nations, whether or not the problem actually exists in each country. If you’re trying to win an award, then you should know what the conference values and what your chair is looking for. News Articles. formId: "d88bd03d-712e-4d5b-9437-4ceabf57768b" Delegate Pal RESEARCH E-BINDER. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. In other words, I framed my approach to research. Your committee’s actual UN website. Op-Ed and Blog Articles. I've always found that whitehouse.gov had pretty useful policy solutions to most problems. I think the title gives a satisfactory explanation of what I want.Also,if possible please give some sites releavant to EOSOC. Click on it and put the name of your country on “SEARCH ITEMS” and your email where it says to do so. GDP, GNP, Illiteracy Rate, Political System. Go to google.com (in English) and click on “MORE” than on “EVEN MORE”.

These are tough reads and the information is way too dense for Model UN.

Research was something boring I needed to do before I could do the fun stuff. General Assembly. Information about the issue. 7. If whatever country you are representing has a similar website, then use that. For a delegate to state, “This issue doesn’t interest me” is an admission that the future of mankind is not important to that individual. I just needed a way to research that took as little time as possible to learn just what I needed to know, but to know it thoroughly. News and Google News, and print out the headlines. They might also be pushing a certain agenda, so be aware of that.

Hope this helps! Otherwise, they are a great starting point for proposing potential solutions. 9. All delegates must prepare resolutions prior to the MUN conference in order to understand how to modify and merge with other resolutions later. But they are probably the most insightful and rigorously edited sources you will find online.

Just take note of any potential issues that are listed at the topic of Wikipedia pages, e.g. All Rights Reserved | Site design by Hibiscus Creative on Thesis, How to Build a Top Travel Team: Why Strength, Size, and Finances Matter. And it’s pretty obvious to chairs who has done their research and who has not. They differ for every conference — not just what the rules are, but how they are applied. You want to know your country’s location, neighbors, population size, type of government, type of economy, trade partners, and the international organizations it’s a part of. It is not the content as much as the actual written document that will be judged. Viewpoints held by other member countries in your bloc: There are obvious blocs of nations throughout the world (African Nations, Arab League, European Union, Western Allies, ASEAN, Group of 77, etc.) And many conferences and committees later, I’ve come to appreciate the value of a good, well-organized binder. Every MUNers go-to source for essential information on their country. Not doing mine made me feel uncomfortable. There are a few reasons why: I organized my binders by starting from the “big picture” — conference, committee, and country — then zooming in on the details — topics, policies, and solutions. You want to know the latest news on your topics, as well as your own country. Once you’ve found the latest resolution, the perambulatory clauses should direct you to other resolutions. 15. The simplest way to do this is to run searches on Yahoo! Think tank publications have more depth and evidence than an opinion article, but they’re typically not as dense as an academic paper. I am talking about putting together a research binder. ; Get involved with Research Week 2020 celebrations.

You want to understand your committee’s mandate (why it was created), powers (what it can do), organization (how it fits into the UN and the larger international community), and membership (who’s in it).