Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Unfortunately, the same wind that created these favorable conditions was my constant companion, varying from 10-30 mph throughout the day. During the hike we ascended 3,268 ft. and descended 3,817 ft. – with much of the elevation change coming at the beginning and end of the hike (see link to interactive graphic below). Despite the wind, I enjoyed this 12.6-mile out and back walk along the CDT. Seven of the RWIS sites are data only and one has a camera only, while the rest have both a camera and data sensors. This was an outstanding article, with great photos and explanation. Like a box of chocolates. So, this past Wednesday (10/24/18) my daughter (Amy) and I made the 37-mile drive to Flesher Pass, and then hiked the CDT for 13.5 miles to Rogers Pass where my wife (Mardi) picked us up that afternoon (52-mile drive from Helena). Courtesy of the CDT Society. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. This section stays fairly close to the actual Continental Divide as it passes through big open areas that would normally provide outstanding views of the Rocky Mountain Front and the Scapegoat Wilderness. Sometimes people ask me if I might ever hike one of them, and my standard response is, “probably not, although I reserve the right to change my mind”. Walking the Line – March 10, 2019. as long as I kept moving. Rogers Pass Rogers Pass is a mountain pass that rises 5,610 feet above sea level and is located on the Continental Divide in the U.S. state of Montana.The pass is adjacent to Helena National Forest and is traversed by Montana Highway 200, providing the shortest route between the cities of Great Falls and Missoula, Montana. From there it’s a 1.5-mile walk up to the pass. ( Log Out /  The Pacific Crest Trail and the Appalachian Trail are the other two. From the main RWIS page one may select the image or the data page for each of the 73 cameras. Below: This map marks hikes that have been featured on bigskywalker.com so far, including several in Glacier Park – Select full screen to expand, zoom in for more detail, or click on a marker for a link to the post. (Photo Tour). Once on the ridge, snow conditions changed – But they were still decent.

Hike as far south as you want, take a break for lunch, walk back to Rogers Pass, drive home, take a hot shower, and sleep in a real bed – My kinda day. I like to have a hot shower and sleep in a real bed after a long hike, so for now I’m content to enjoy small sections of the CDT close to home.