What God desires from us is true brokeness. 5 For (C)he took his life in his hand (D)and he struck down the Philistine, (E)and the Lord worked a great salvation for all Israel. He was the first King of Israel. David too would commit some horrific sins, but his response is very different from Saul. King Saul vs. David. Responsive web design by Green Tree Media, LLC. Stay in a secret place and hide yourself. Only those who embrace the shame of their transgression can share in the glory of the cross. People pleaser? (P)Why should I kill you?’”, 18 Now David fled and escaped, and he came to Samuel at (Q)Ramah and told him all that Saul had done to him.
The second incident revealed more poor character. Where there is no sorrow over sin there is no genuine repentance. He requires broken and contrite heart.

A poem near the start of the book reveals the book's key themes: God’s opposition to the proud, exultation of the humble, faithfulness in spite of evil, and the promise of a messianic king. You saw it, and rejoiced. Saul and David. However, if you've studied their lives carefully both of the men had some incredible failures in their life. The Holy Bible, English Standard Version.

But now your kingdom shall not endure” (1 Samuel 13:13-14).
But Michal, David's wife, told him, “If you do not escape with your life tonight, tomorrow you will be killed.” 12 (M)So Michal let David down through the window, and he fled away and escaped. Saul’s character was mostly like a leaf on a tree branch, twisting whichever way the wind blew. And David went out and fought with the Philistines and struck them with a great blow, so that they fled before him. What difference made all the difference? If we are not broken over our sin, then what need do we have of a savior? We are wise if we examine our own choices (and underlying motives) in light of what character is revealed. Saul didn’t know that David had been picked to be the next king, so, whenever Saul was in a bad mood, David would play music for him and make him feel better. However David describes in detail the thoughts and emotions he was experiencing during this time in a beautiful song, Psalm 51. Goodness! Saul was “a choice and handsome man, and there was not a more handsome person than he among the sons of Israel” (1 Samuel 9:2).

Saul Tries to Kill David - And Saul spoke to Jonathan his son and to all his servants, that they should kill David. What was the BIG difference between them that made all the difference in the world? Yet one was broken over his sin and the other was apathetic. 24 (X)And he too stripped off his clothes, and he too prophesied before Samuel and lay naked all that day and all that night. With Maurice Costello, William V. Ranous, Florence Lawrence. What is the difference between these two men? Saul was rejected by God while David was a man after God's own heart. “But Saul and the people spared Agag and the best of the sheep, the oxen, the fatlings, the lambs, and all that was good, and were not willing to destroy them utterly; but everything despised and worthless, that they utterly destroyed” (Verse 9). Character. King Saul started to fear that David’s fame and power would one day help him usurp the throne. Saul was always taking short cuts, compromising, caring too much what others thought of him, and “helping” God out. Even though David then married Saul’s daughter Michal and became a close friend of Saul… Samuel decreed that Saul no longer had God's favor and anointed David as the next king. 13 Michal took (N)an image[a] and laid it on the bed and put a pillow of goats' hair at its head and covered it with the clothes. Confess your spiritual poverty. Consider how easy it would have been for David to take the same path as Saul. You too have a divine destiny to be a great man or woman of God, and he yearns for you to fulfill it. Do not attempt to justify your sinful actions. Psalm 18:33, Copyright 2020 Hannah's Cupboard. In Matthew 5:3 Jesus kicks off the sermon on the Mount with the beatitudes. Saul and David are more than interesting historical figures. The Rise and Fall of Saul.

Their lives serve as mirrors for our own lives. In each case the Lord revealed his choice through Samuel who anointed them both. As we will see, the difference between the two Kings is in their response when confronted in their sin. [Josh. 9 (I)Then a harmful spirit from the Lord came upon Saul, as he sat in his house with his spear in his hand. The bitter tears of brokeness are quickly covered by the sweet blood of Jesus. However, if you've studied their lives carefully both of the men had some incredible failures in their life. 2 And Jonathan told David, “Saul my father seeks to kill you.

Saul started out with a bright future. King Saul started plotting to kill David, forcing David to flee for his life.. One day, Saul took 3,000 men to the desert of Ziph to look for David. Yes, he disobeyed, but scripture records other cases of disobedience (even David) that didn’t have such disastrous results. A Tale of Two Kings: The Difference Between Saul and David. The people began to scatter and Saul could see that the Philistines were gearing up for another battle, and Saul thought he needed THEM to win. 14 And when Saul sent messengers to take David, she said, “He is sick.” 15 Then Saul sent the messengers to see David, saying, “Bring him up to me in the bed, that I may kill him.” 16 And when the messengers came in, behold, (O)the image was in the bed, with the pillow of goats' hair at its head. will find that God is more than gracious to blot out our transgression. He thought he needed to take matters into his own hands. (J)And David was playing the lyre.

Both operated prophetically. Thus it is said, (Y)“Is Saul also among the prophets?”. Both men had duties with their father’s herds: Saul was sent to find his father’s lost donkeys and David was shepherd over his father’s sheep flocks.

After all, he was late so Saul had to pinch-hit. And he asked, “Where are Samuel and David?” And one said, “Behold, they are at Naioth in (V)Ramah.” 23 And he went there to Naioth in Ramah. If any of those ring a bell, don’t despair. Saul and David are lasting types of human character. It is when we are broken that God will heal. In any event, the killing of Goliath proved that David was a truly obedient servant of God who was concerned with the interests of his Heavenly Father and his Father’s people (cf. And Jonathan told David, “Saul my father seeks to kill you.

“Now go and strike Amalek and utterly destroy all that he has, and do not spare him; but put to death both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey” (1 Samuel 15:3). Both were handpicked by God to be king. David was not sinless, but it appears God approved his upright character in spite of it. Saul swore, (G)“As the Lord lives, he shall not be put to death.” 7 And Jonathan called David, and Jonathan reported to him all these things. But Jonathan, Saul's son, delighted much in David. Therefore be on your guard in the morning. Both were men of war. Therefore be on your guard in the morning. The Biblical story of the shepherd boy who became King of the Israelites. He owns his sin singing, "For I know my transgressions and my sin is ever before me". Compromise? Those who cry out "Woe is Me!"

Saul and David live in their representatives at the present day. He points the finger at everyone else rather than pointing it at himself. Saul …

They each led armies to victory over the enemies of Israel. One fell short and the other fulfilled his call. Wasn’t this really Samuel’s fault, he reasoned? Samuel told him, That’s it, isn’t it? There were plenty of occasions to take matters into his own hands.

Saul, son of Kish from the tribe of Benjamin, and David, son of Jesse from the tribe of Judah had a lot in common. “Behold, this day your eyes have seen that the Lord had given you today into my hand in the cave, and some said to kill you, but my eye had pity on you; and I said, ‘I will not stretch out my hand against my lord, for he is the Lord’s anointed'” (1 Samuel 24:10). In our sin, we must most own up to our spiritual poverty. Rather than owning his sin and asking for forgiveness, in pride he follows the foot steps of Adam and argues that his sin is not that big of a deal.