This is a great recipe! Love to hear this! We love to eat them warm! These spiced hot cross buns are addictive, I kid you not. If the indentation remains, then they are sufficiently proofed and are ready to be baked. On a cold day, this takes me about 90 minutes, and on a hot day, about 45 minutes. Our kids love them, so now we make them every year along with our super viral Empty Tomb Rolls. Hot Cross Buns, an iconic treat that surfaces around … Would like to ask if ok to knead dough using hand? It says 2 ounces 2 tablespoons of cream cheese. Kitchen scale – Makes the process of weighing these ingredients much easier. I hope that helps! I used instant and I think that might be why mine are very puffed up lol. . Place the dough balls into a greased 9×13-inch pan and set aside to rise once more. Do I use the dough hook to knead the dough? You can weigh the dough, and then divide it by 15.

Depending on humidity and a lot of other things, dough can be stickier.

Learn how your comment data is processed. The cross on top of the bun can be piped with frosting or etched into the dough. So I prefer to add these later. Enjoy!

Silicone Spatulas – I love this set, and I have it in two sizes. Should be ok, I haven’t done it personally though. Combine the warm milk, sugar, and yeast. I've used this recipe for years and had many people request the recipe. I hope that helps! Mix together all of the dough ingredients, except the fruit, and knead on low speed using an electric mixer until the dough is soft and elastic. I’ve noticed that different flours hydrate differently which can cause this issue. I’ve heard some people get intimidated by scalding milk, but there is no need for intimidation.

or this site may be reproduced without prior written permission.

350 for 30 minutes. Allow the dough rise for 1 hour, covered. Plus, it eliminates one of the rising processes, so bread making is expedited. I love baking, and I love cooking. These hot cross buns are so soft with a slight sweetness from the raisins and syrup glaze. To make the glaze even smoother, pass the jam mix through a fine sieve to remove any bigger chunks. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, until you have a smooth paste that's runny enough to pipe easily, but will not run off the sides of the buns either. It’s a good thing that eating THE SOFTEST HOT CROSS BUNS is way more fun than hearing hot cross buns! Just make sure it’s warm so it’s easier for the raisins to soak it up. Seriously! Am I reading it wrong? I’m so excited to to make these! Separate the milk into two ½ cup portions. Mix until combined. Lastly, these homemade hot cross buns are best enjoyed warm. Use a pastry bag to pipe the icing on the buns. Make sure the flour-milk mix is completely smooth, with no lumps.

Dissolve about ½ tbsb of the sugar in the warm milk in your mixer bowl. I use tangzhong to make these classic Sri Lankan raisin buns that are a tea time tradition in Sri Lanka. The use of ground cinnamon and cloves add warmth and a bit of spiciness, while dried fruits make the bread sweet enough, you’d think it’s a dessert. There is no need to be scared of yeast!

Whisk all the ingredients together and spoon into a piping bag with a round tip and refrigerate until ready to use. You can do both!

Chocolate chips would be yummy even!! Divide and roll the dough into 20 balls, slightly larger than a ping pong ball, with lightly oiled hands. This prevents the dough from being dry, and actually makes the dough quite sticky – but guarantees lasting soft rolls.

Disclaimer: The Flavor Bender is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. I like to stick it in the fridge for a few minutes to get the cooling started, but don’t forget about it!

Then knead the dough further to incorporate the dried fruits and other additions. Some prefer to pipe frosting crosses on top, but I personally prefer the crosses to be baked into the buns. After the first proof of the dough, add the dried fruits and fold them in until they are uniformly mixed through. Give them a gentle rinse very quickly under water to help speed up the process but do not thoroughly rinse them. Thank you so much for the feedback and so glad you enjoy them! These Easter, Is the nursery rhyme song stuck in your head by now like it is mine?

Scalded milk helps make breads, cakes, and other baked goods light and fluffy.

It takes about 30-45 minutes to come to room temperature. What type of yeast did you use? Meanwhile, boil the raisins with a little baking soda to plump them up. Brush the warm apricot glaze over the warm buns, and then let them cool completely.

Just be sure the yeast activates and gets foamy.

* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. There used be a bakery below my clinic in Lismore, Austrlia, and they made some of the softest and incredibly delicious hot cross buns, and it made our whole building smell like sugar, spice and bread for days! Worked beautifully and they are delicious! This is then mixed with the rest of the ingredients.

Thank you for taking to leave us a comment!

Enjoy! If you don’t have a kitchen scale at hand, you can use cup measurements, but make sure to use the spoon and level method to measure the dry ingredients. Delicious! It will make multiple loaves, 2-3 depending on the size of your bread pans. So good you can't stop eating!! Tangzhong is a Japanese cooking technique used in making milk bread.

I recommend kneading it until the dough is the right consistency (soft and tacky).

I love the additions and changes you made too! Bake the buns for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Place the dough into an oiled bowl and set it aside to rise for roughly 2 hours. It’s no secret that I prefer to weigh dry ingredients with a kitchen scale, rather than relying on measuring cups. This plumps up the raisins, making them juicy and adds a lovely orange flavor to the buns too. I also do tanghzong and always weigh my ingredients. . I like to put ours in the fridge for a few minutes to help it along, but you cannot use cold milk so don't forget it! I shared a few with a neighbor and they got high acclaim.

They were delicious. Let me know if you do. I actually substituted half of the flour for coarsly ground whole wheat….a move which I later regretted when it didn’t rise well. It doesn’t take more than 5 minutes.

The way I test for proofing is by gently pressing my finger tip into a couple of the buns. Countertop?

The best Classic Hot Cross Buns recipe! Rotate the tray if needed, halfway through baking. It completely softens the bread recipe beyond any other thing you do. Do you buy active dry yeast or instant?

Oh, I am so excited to try these for Easter! If I had known I would’ve just baked them last night and warmed them again today. Check out my Recipe Index, follow me on Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and sign up for FREE email newsletter. I added another half cup of dried fruit, which included a combination of odds and ends I had in the pantry including: currents, dried chopped dates, chopped apricots, and dried chopped apples. You may need to add a little extra liquid or flour depending on the protein content in the flour. We get nothing but rave reviews for these every Easter. And that little secret is tangzhong. One claiming was best he’d ever had and he’s had many.

So I edited that step by adding extra liquid to the recipe from the start. Ps – I’m coming with a spiced chocolate chip hot cross bun recipe soon too! Just like store bought. Place the flour and confectioner's sugar in a bowl and whisk together. Keep mixing while whisking, until you have a runny paste. I let my raisins soak up some port and ground the spices fresh. Here’s what you’ll need to make homemade hot cross buns: The dough for these little pillows of joy starts with scalding milk. My recipe for hot cross buns includes a little twist to make them even softer and fluffier than traditional recipes. It was sweet and had more depth than the simple syrup. Is the nursery rhyme song stuck in your head by now like it is mine? Mix all the ingredients together to form a scraggly dough. REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY! Bake the hot cross buns until golden, then brush with sugar syrup and pipe crosses on top once cooled. Add the eggs and butter to the yeast mixture and stir until the butter is melted. I will be back! Ah thank you so much, I didn’t use this recipe as I was following a bread maker one as they were so light and fluffy last time, but I doubled the quantity and my bread maker through a wobbly !! When the dough is smooth and shiny and well kneaded, you can add the prepared raisins and mixed peel, and fold them into the dough until they are well distributed.

Find me sharing more inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. These are best eaten warm or lightly toasted with a little butter. You can knead the dough in the mixer on low speed to incorporate them.

Also, how would you suggest storing these? I have never had hot cross buns before, but I have heard of them a lot! It represents the crucifixion of Jesus, and the spices inside signify the spices used to embalm him at his burial.

Any time you make bread and it calls for milk (such as this recipe), please scald it. They’re so good and so fun for teaching the kiddos more about Easter! store? I really enjoyed making these. Snip off the edge of the piping bag (make sure the opening is smaller than the desired thickness of the lines that you want to pipe). Can I do without the raisins, or are they important for sweetness? (See recipe notes about adding the raisins at this point).

End result?

Looking for more recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new recipes in your inbox each week! They’re delish and as good as any you buy from M&S!! Then, when you’re ready to bake the hot cross buns the next day simply let them come to room temperature (it’ll take 30 to 45 minutes) before baking as usual. Why do we scald milk? Don’t hate me if the song is stuck in your head the rest of the day! No part of the content (digital photographs, recipes, articles, etc.) It’ll be absolutely worth your while though!

We don’t want cold milk! If you’re new to yeast baking make sure to try my Cinnamon Rolls Recipe!They’re amazing and … We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

You may notice a thin layer appear on the top of the milk, just remove from the heat and stir a little to remove it.