However, I typically find that most children or early teens using a 26-inch tennis racquet aren’t at a level to benefit from a polyester string like RPM Blast or to recognize the difference from an inexpensive synthetic gut alternative. To get the full rundown, check out my guide on string tension. Thicker strings can also withstand greater impact, which helps extend the life, too. With that said, you’ll have to be the judge when you find a string you like and experiment with different gauges. For example, you might string with a lower gauge (thicker) tennis string if you’re using synthetic or natural gut to help increase the durability or life of your strings.

In the case of Nadal, he hits with an incredible amount of topspin and uses a 15 gauge polyester tennis string from Babolat called RPM Blast. When it comes to tennis string, one of the key attributes to understand is gauge or the string’s thickness and how it impacts performance. We also share information about your use of our site with our trusted social media, advertising, and analytics partners. Gauge is a measure of a string’s thickness or diameter, which according to industry standards, falls between 0.60 and 1.80 millimeters. On the contrary, at times I also use my older pair of Wilson Prostaff 5.0 Midplus, which has dense string pattern and I end up hitting with these two strings for more than 20 days on one racquet. Another option would be to consider a more durable multifilament – here are a few options: Tecnifibre X-One Biphase, Tecnifibre NRG2, or Babolat Addiction.

However, there still is some variation that exists. This snapback effect provides a small incremental improvement to your topspin, which is believed to increase slightly at lower tensions.

As a result, for beginners, I’d recommend 16 gauge (1.26 to1.34 mm) to start. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you put the correct strings on your harp. At 16 gauge I was stringing at 50lbs. There’s no right or wrong answer – instead, keep the pros and cons in mind, and let your preferences drive your decision making. As you progress, it can be helpful to experiment with different gauge tennis strings, especially within the same type of string, as performance will vary. Provides for solid attack, without the “flop.”. For example, a 16 gauge string refers to any string that falls between 1.26 and 1.34 mm thick. If you’re using 17 gauge, you can move up to 16, or you can even go up to 15 with NXT DuraMax. Optimal for detuning.

If your harp was not made by a harpmaker listed above, please do NOT assume that because your harp has the same number of strings as one of these harps, the string gauges are the same. For example, if you’ve switched gauges and you find your clipping the net often, you might want to decrease your tension a few pounds. Great to see the in depth analysis on the string pattern and it as a factor in the game. String gauges are usually referred to by the gauge of their lightest string: 0.009 strings (also called 9 strings or “nines”) have a top string that is 0.009 inches across in diameter, while 0.011 strings (usually referred to as 11 strings or “elevens”) incorporate a top string that’s 0.011 inches in … With that said, you’ll need to test it out. Every harp takes different strings. For example, budget is not a concern when it comes to the top players, so what works for them might not make sense for you. You should find all of these last longer than NXT power at 16 gauge. A common question that comes up when talking about string gauge is what tension works best for a specific gauge string or how tension should be modified when moving up or down a gauge for the same string. If not, you’ll have to try 2-3 pounds looser and see how it feels. If there’s anything you want to clear up so I can provide a bit more info, please let me know. Here’s a link to my guide on string tension, which I reference in the video. Natural Gut Strings: An In-depth Look at The Oldest String In Tennis. Others prefer strings to be on the tight side and use the larger gauges listed. He strings a hybrid setup with 16 gauge natural gut in the mains and 17 gauge polyester in the crosses, which brings us to our next point. International gauges are the opposite. Higher tensions result in a stiffer stringbed, which decreases the launch angle of the ball resulting in less perceived power and more control. All Rights Reserved. It should help prevent a bit of discomfort you’re experiencing. Required fields are marked *. When you play tennis, your strings produce friction at the cross-sections where they overlap each other. Because of this, combined with the fact that a thinner gauge will inherently feel different makes this question tricky to answer without taking measurements for this string at varying tensions. Because of this, when you get to the very heaviest string (or strings in the case of a 7 or 8 string guitar or 5 string bass), you may find it best to ramp the tension down slightly to avoid excess bass response overpowering other strings in the set. If you’re looking for a few of our other favorite picks, check our guide to the best tennis strings in 2020.