Never would have picked it if it weren't for reese's book club. –Dave Boling, author of The Lost History of Stars, “For lovers of Chocolat… evokes emotion and magic.” "You never know what a mermaid will do," he said finally. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition. Drowned, it was said. "That's not enough, Papa," I said. The national bestselling author of The School of Essential Ingredients presents a captivating coming-of-age novel about how fragrances conjure memories capable of shaping the course of our lives.

- BooklistWoven through [Emmeline's] life's journey is a multi-layered story of fragrance and its evocative power, as strong and tenacious as this sensuous novel's plucky heroine. Do you think she was right to do so?

Why do you think that is? We made a fire and cooked the clams, adding some wild onions and sea asparagus for flavor, and ate out of bowls made of abalone shells, with mussel shells for spoons and berries for dessert. Even more than that, I wanted to be Jack the Scent Hunter, the hero of my father's stories, flying through the canopies of dripping jungles and climbing to the tops of mountains, all to catch the fragrance of one tiny flower. - Booklist"Woven through [Emmeline's] life's journey is a multi-layered story of fragrance and its evocative power, as strong and tenacious as this sensuous novel's plucky heroine." As Emmeline grows, however, so too does her curiosity, until one day the unforeseen happens, and Emmeline is vaulted out into the real world--a place of love, betrayal, ambition, and revenge. The islands took them all in — the storms and the long, dark winters spat most out again. The lingering scent of the runaway's pipe tobacco was a never-ending reminder of that. "Now, let's get going. 23. It was beautifully written and the main characters were endearing. "Oh no," I said, shivering into the danger of it. I highly recommend it." Vickie.

But they never stayed. 18. Talk about disappointment! Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. We hoisted the boxes in our arms and carried them triumphantly back to the cabin. "Foragers feast," my father would say, and we'd set out into the woods, cedar bark baskets in our hands. Emmeline has lived with her father on an otherwise uninhabited island in the Pacific Northwest for as long as she can remember. When tragedy strikes, Emmeline is forced to relocate to the mainland. An artfully crafted coming-of-age story that will take the reader on an exquisite olfactory adventure.

I got word of this novel a few months ago and eagerly looked forward to reading every word. He spent forty years on the island, clearing space for a garden and planting an orchard. It's a coming of age tale, featuring a young heroine as narrator who makes serious mistakes, learns much from them, and ultimately redeems herself. Click or Press Enter to view the items in your shopping bag or Press Tab to interact with the Shopping bag tooltip. St. Martin's Griffin; Reprint edition (February 4, 2020), Reviewed in the United States on May 22, 2019. Erica Bauermeister, the author of the February Reese's Book Club pick The Scent Keeper, presents a moving and evocative novel about childhood stories, families lost and found, and how a fragrance conjures memories capable of shaping the course of our lives.Emmeline lives on a remote island with her father, who teaches her about the natural world through her senses. What he won't explain are the mysterious scents stored in glass bottles that line the walls of their cabin, or the origin of the machine that creates them. How does the prologue affect your reading of the rest of the novel? Something went wrong. my father said, pointing to a spout of water that fireworked up from the beach. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number. Love loss betrayal and humanity in smells and scents. - Shelf Awareness, Starred Review“[A] magical novel…Blending fantasy with a realist family drama, Bauermeister’s novel will enchant fans of Katherine Paterson.” - Publishers Weekly"For lovers of Chocolat, The Scent Keeper evokes emotion and magic through the senses." It arrived a few days ago and I treated it as a gift anticipating opening the first page and diving into another world but... it was lovely and beautifully written with lyrical descriptions but the ending left me feeling dumped! Secrets are an important element in The Scent Keeper. She has a PhD in literature from the University of Washington, and has taught there and at Antioch University. I had no desire to confront either. "How do the mermaids know what we love?" - Booklist"Woven through [Emmeline's] life's journey is a multi-layered story of fragrance and its evocative power, as strong and tenacious as this sensuous novel's plucky heroine." Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. I waited, thinking there would be more, but my father just put the mushroom in my basket. This book was so vivid in its description that I found myself tuning into scents where ever I was. Order now from our extensive selection of books coming soon with Pre-order Price Guarantee. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. I love this book. Here at Walmart.com, we are committed to protecting your privacy. Scents were like rain, or birds. I loved this. The sorceress took him to her magnificent house, but once he was inside, he found he could not get out. She trains canines. After dinner, my father and I read books to each other, as we always did. It was an angry, dangerous thing, eager to chew up anything that came near its mouth. Almost a century ago there were French fur trappers, with accents that lilted and danced. When he was back on the ground, he carefully broke the seal. "Please.". My father had told me that many things in fairy tales weren't real, but my problem was I didn't always know which ones. She is a founding member of the Seattle7Writers and currently lives in Port Townsend, Washington. Which should they have told and when? It's a coming of age tale, featuring a young heroine as narrator who makes serious mistakes, learns much from them, and ultimately redeems herself. Members save with free shipping everyday! My favorite was bladderwrack, with its little balloons that popped in your mouth and left the smell of salt behind. I stuck a small stick next to the spot to mark it. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon.

It was beautifully written and the main characters were endearing. I am so glad that I read this book. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in. My father smiled. We work hard to protect your security and privacy. 13. 3. Erica Bauermeister, the author of the February Reese's Book Club pick The Scent Keeper, presents a moving and evocative novel about childhood stories, families lost and found, and how a fragrance conjures memories capable of shaping the course of our lives.Emmeline lives on a remote island with her father, who teaches her about the natural world through her senses. Erica Bauermeister is the author of three bestselling novels –.