The trade’s defenders claimed the ship was an invention: human beings could not possibly be packed together for a long voyage with so little space. . After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Dry English wit a specialty.

The reviews above cover the ground quite adequately, so let me just add this: The Slave Ship is a powerful piece of essential background for all who live in today's capitalist economies. Rezension aus dem Vereinigten Königreich vom 18. OTHER BOOKS. The Slave Ship: A Human History By Marcus Rediker (Penguin, 2007) London Review of Books, July 31, 2008 Last year’s bicentennial of Britain’s outlawing of the Atlantic slave trade inspired a host of scholarly and popular commemorations: conferences, exhibitions, even a big-budget film, Amazing Grace, that made an unlikely matinee idol of William Wilberforce. Rezension aus dem Vereinigten Königreich vom 12. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. The author did a nice job piecing together the varied information. Penguin Books; Reprint Edition (30. Prime-Mitglieder genießen Zugang zu schnellem und kostenlosem Versand, tausenden Filmen und Serienepisoden mit Prime Video und vielen weiteren exklusiven Vorteilen. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon.

( Log Out /  Top subscription boxes – right to your door, See all details for The Slave Ship: A Human History, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. ( Log Out /  This is more of a detached intellectual discussion to me. He touched on how at some points in history, blacks that were able to pass for white and completely severed relations with their black families. His is one of very few volumes that depicts the Atlantic as an exceptionally violent place. Rediker sees the slave ship as a microcosm of economic exchange and political and military power, the ‘linchpin’ of the world’s first era of ‘globalisation’. Preise inkl. 468 pp. I read the kindle edition, and being a student of history this book contains excellent descriptive stories of the horrid experiences on board the slave ship.

Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Reviewed in the United States on May 14, 2016. As soon as the ship left port, captains established their authority over the crew, sometimes sadistically, with whippings and other punishments for minor infractions, or none at all. Whatever the size, every slave ship was a rigidly hierarchal environment headed by a captain wielding a power, one wrote, ‘as absolute . Wir verwenden Cookies und ähnliche Tools, um Ihr Einkaufserlebnis zu verbessern, um unsere Dienste anzubieten, um zu verstehen, wie die Kunden unsere Dienste nutzen, damit wir Verbesserungen vornehmen können, und um Werbung anzuzeigen. View Jayspencergreen’s profile on Facebook, View JaySpencerGreen’s profile on Twitter, Follow Jay Spencer Green on WordPress.com, KC Freeman - Contemporary Fantasy & Paranormal Romance Author. Reviewed in the United States on August 27, 2020.

Hinzufügen war nicht erfolgreich. Posted by jayspencergreen in Book review, Books, Uncategorized, Book reviews, Marcus Rediker, The Slave Ship. This was ‘history’s greatest forced migration’, Rediker writes.

Find helpful customer reviews and review ratings for The Slave Ship: A Human History at Amazon.com. I’m an HNS member but I don’t know my username or password. Book reviews to start with, who knows what else i'll write about! Well worth reading though. Review of: The Slave Ship: A Human History, Marcus Rediker, John Murray, 2008, 464 pp. Um aus diesem Karussell zu navigieren, benutzen Sie bitte Ihre Überschrift-Tastenkombination, um zur nächsten oder vorherigen Überschrift zu navigieren. James Stanfield, a sailor whose long epic poem about his experiences Rediker quotes at length, wrote of the ‘demon cruelty’ of his captain.

As Benjamin Franklin pointed out at the American constitutional convention of 1787, the difference between the trade in slaves and all other commerce was that other cargoes do not rebel. Not that there isn’t plenty of savagery and captivity to go around. Browse our magazines. Slaves may well have found themselves in their predicament as a result of capture by other Africans, but on board ship every African became a brother or a sister. As such, it is an interesting read, but not terribly captivating. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. This book is a little "scholarly" and tedious but is a good addition to others about the subject. It was a business just like any other, a reality that tends to escape analyses of slavery that focus on the barbarity and captivity endured by the slaves to the neglect of the logic behind both.

The barricado also turned the main deck into a kind of prison courtyard, so that when the slaves were allowed up onto the main deck for “dancing,” the crew could keep an eye on them and fire down on them if necessary.

Wählen Sie die Kategorie aus, in der Sie suchen möchten. [*] Previously, rhetoric celebrating ‘British liberty’ had rung a bit hollow given the country’s role in shipping Africans to the New World. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Each chapter is about slavers, the boats, the crew and taken from historical accounts or records. Slaves became brothers and sisters regardless of origin, by virtue of their shared experience. The author gets politically liberal and calls for reparations. The story of the slave trade is a tale of inhumanity and suffering but also an epic of the resilience of the human spirit. On the ship, Africans from different societies, speaking different languages, practising different religions, began to create a new identity.

This is more of a detached intellectual discussion to me. The author did a nice job piecing together the varied information. Our online member directory allows visitors to view members’ profiles, their latest website/blog posts and links to their Facebook, Twitter and Goodreads accounts. Rediker describes how captains’ personalities and attitudes slowly changed during the journey. Now, from captain to cabin boy, all were white men. An excellent book that graphically but humanely describes the environment of the slavers that plied the Atlantic in the 18th and early 19th centuries. Academically stunning, and finally an in depth study of the entire merchant system and the ships that made it possible. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, Reviewed in the United States on March 9, 2017. New bonds were formed in the face of necessity. Oil on canvas. – ggf.

We are one blood. Academically stunning, and finally an in depth study of the entire merchant system and the ships that made it possible. Rediker shows that, not only was the Brooks real, but she made ten slaving voyages, sometimes carrying even more slaves than the number shown in the famous drawing. Domestic slavery and the trading of slaves across the Sahara to Arab merchants existed centuries before Europeans arrived in West Africa. Participants in the slave trade were prone to think of the Africans as cannibals while thinking of themselves as ethical civilized redeemers and good Christians. Sharks gathered around the ships – some followed them all the way across the ocean – waiting to feed on the corpses of those who perished. Los Angeles Times Book Review “ I was hardly prepared for the profound emotional impact of The Slave Ship: A Human History. Each chapter is about slavers, the boats, the crew and taken from historical accounts or records. But its virtues considerably outweigh these flaws. September 2008, Vorbespielter Audioplayer, Ungekürzte Ausgabe.

The sailors sometimes played instruments and sang, but more commonly, day and night, the Africans sang.’.

Like Like. How do I appear in the members’ directory. The genius of Rediker’s book is that he has relied heavily on contemporary accounts of life on a slaver, from merchants, captains, sailors, and the slaves themselves. His is one of very few volumes that depicts the Atlantic as an exceptionally violent place. I read the kindle edition, and being a student of history this book contains excellent descriptive stories of the horrid experiences on board the slave ship. 978-0719563034. This is a book in the tradition of “history from below”, and I couldn’t help but compare it to Silvia Federici’s Caliban and the Witch for the way it demystifies social relations and explains the interplay between class, race, gender, and empire.

For three centuries slave ships carted millions of people from the coasts of Africa across the Atlantic to the Americas. Außerdem analysiert es Rezensionen, um die Vertrauenswürdigkeit zu überprüfen. The author gets politically liberal and calls for reparations. The Slave Ship: A Human History Marcus Rediker, Author. A History EVERYONE in America Should Know, Reviewed in the United States on June 1, 2016. I have read a lot about slavery and it is a subject of great interest for a history buff and understanding how the US was made. Okay But More Intellectual Than Emotional, Reviewed in the United States on March 15, 2017. How do we deceive ourselves today? This persecution of the crew was deliberate and at the behest of the merchants, who sometimes gave explicit instructions to the captain that they dispose of superfluous crew, even though such a practice was illegal.

If you would like to contribute an article for the magazine and/or site, please contact us. Last year’s bicentennial of Britain’s outlawing of the Atlantic slave trade inspired a host of scholarly and popular commemorations: conferences, exhibitions, even a big-budget film, Amazing Grace, that made an unlikely matinee idol of William Wilberforce.

xo. A stark counterpoint to the horrors and barbarity that are the real subject.

Zugelassene Drittanbieter verwenden diese Tools auch in Verbindung mit der Anzeige von Werbung durch uns. John Murray. But and a big but. Eine Person fand diese Informationen hilfreich, Rezension aus dem Vereinigten Königreich vom 29.

I guess liberals can’t help themselves. Instead, our collective ignorance of this history still divides us with hate and vengeance. Wiederholen Sie die Anforderung später noch einmal. Crews did mutiny, but rarely in unison with slaves, and with a view to selling the slaves themselves on occasion. Find me on Instagram @tiny_bookreviews and Twitter @tinybookreview1.

Review by Edward James, ‘One of the recurrent sounds of a slave ship was song.

“Dancing” was, by and large, a euphemism for exercise.

To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. . The book helps educate the reader on the conditions between slave and slaver; the role of slavery in international trade; and the continual struggle to manage the international market between competing powers. Fun and detailed book reviews on all genres! This book provides important insight into the issues of transporting millions of enslaved persons.

It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness.