You’ve inspired me to give it a try. And did the canning work out for u? Measure how much this makes and place this in a saucepan.

Thank you for sharing that sweet memory Tanya.

Reduce heat, and let simmer slowly until transparent, about 30 minutes. Remove the green parts off the rind  and then cut the rind into 1-2 cm cubes.

You can also top cakes with it. Thank you, Sawsan! Chop the watermelon rind into even pieces of about 3-4 cm/ 1.2-1.6 inches. Cut rind into 1/3-inch strips. Watermelon is my favorite summer fruit hands down.

When cooled, put the rind mixture back into the pot. I haven’t yet made my own jam but you’ve inspired me! I’m really impressed!! The lemon juice is there to prevent the crystallization of the sugar syrup once it cools down.

Watermelon Jam. You are right we should post some video cameras near the watermelons in the markets and try to catch on tape people doing strange techniques to assess for watermelon ripeness. I know what you mean about it being great for the planet and budget , […] type of jam can be used for a Linzer Torte! The jam is eaten with bread or toast or with some heavy or double cream or with some butter.

My aunt makes these into spears, my friend grates them sometimes and I love the different textures. I’m sure it would be interesting with cheese or maybe on a sandwich…have you tried lots with it? This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Remove from heat, cover, and set aside overnight. We normally use ginger (in various amounts) as the spice. .

Only problem is, my chickens will be upset as they usually get the rinds! This is a really good idea.

Homemade Watermelon Rind Jam recipe a delicious jam made with watermelon rind, apple, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.

I have not tried that Angelique. there is still one more part of our trip to petra and I promise a picture of my family in it . Pour the hot jam into sterilized jars.

Ha-ha-ha! It turns out that the rind (white part of the watermelon peel) can be turned into a number of tasty treats both savory and sweet. There is also the option of cutting it with a cookie cutter instead of cutting the rind into squares and cooking it the same way and then draining off the liquid and allowing it to drain over night on a wire rack and serving as candy. the next day drain  the watermelon reserving 2 cups water and then add the watermelon, and water to a pot and bring it to a boil over medium heat.

I think the chickens won’t mind if you try with one watermelon just don’t tell them you are using their beloved treat in the kitchen, Wow.. this is quite different to all the other jams we see… quite exotic if you ask me , It was different to make for sure but once you taste it, you will love this new and exotic addition to your regular jams. They ate so vivid, like I could almost taste it.

Is that the ingredient for it lasting. I put my jam in the fridge and they last for a whole year. Test for doneness. Sounds a lot easier than what my mom used to make. I think you will enjoy this, it is really a unique jam.

One can never have too much jam on a pantry shelf. I think the next time I will have to try this instead. It is best eaten straight from the fridge. ),  rind pickles (don’t ask) and […]. Glad you like it Norma. ok.. my awaited recipe…i never knew that even the peels can be put to use.. we buy so much water melon and all the peels used to be just thrown out.. i will try this jam out… thank u sawsan.. i loved the post.. the writing, the pics.. and i loooove the colour of that jam… Thank you for letting me know. What seasoning do you use? Add  enough boiling water to submerge the rind cubes then leave it to cool down and store it in the fridge over night. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. My mother made watermelon preserves using long spears of the rind and I make something very similar to this, just different seasoning.

My happiest watermelon memories are of being on the beach in southern Italy with my parents, brother and about 25 cousins, aunts and uncles.

Hello Deborah, I still have a jar I made last summer in the fridge and it is in perfect condition Thank you very much for your kind comment Betsy I am really glad you enjoy my recipes To see how many misses and how many hits do they honestly get. Never tried watermelon rind Jam before. I’ve returned watermelon to the store if it wasn’t up to par! If it I enjoy the results, I’ll make a 2nd batch and preserve it for later in the year. What a clever idea! You always provide plenty of inspiration..thank you for that You can also make pickles out of the rind too It’s really great that you don’t waste any food and you actually get great jam out of of the rind. This jam looks so tasty and would love to try this out soon.

My family thought it was too hard to spread on toast, though, so this time, I’m grating the rind instead of chopping. In a heavy pot, completely dissolve sugar in reserved liquid. will use it next time…we had so many watermelons but unfortunately did not know what to do with the peels! Prick the peeled thick slices of skin thoroughly with a fork, cut into pieces about 3x3cm and soaked in lime water overnight this keeps it crisp. There is also the option of cutting it with a cookie cutter instead of cutting the rind into squares and cooking it the same way and then draining off the liquid and allowing it to drain over night on a wire rack and serving as candy. What an unusual and creative use of something I would ordinarily discard.

According to my mum my love affair with watermelon started when I was one and though I don’t go diving into watermelon platters any more, I still try to express my love for watermelons in other ways like looking for new and innovative ways to enjoy it.

Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. It must add a whole new dimension of flavor.

Add two liters of water and 200 ml of apple cider vinegar. Delicious! Click to share on Print & PDF (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window), Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window), Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Daring cooks cook in parchment “en papillote”, Around the Web: Homemade Jam | SocialCafe Magazine, http://cookwithherman.blogspot.in/search?updated-max=2012-09-18T23:21:00-07:00&max-results=4&start=12&by-date=false, Watermelon Peel Jam, aka Candied Watermelon Rind (from Chef in Disguise) | The Lazy Vegan Cook, Watermelon strawberry pineapple frappe | Chef in disguise, Easy homemade edible gifts | Chef in disguise. Sorry chickens, this just looks too good to pass up! Thank you Misbah. I had never heard of using the rinds for anything until I stumbled upon this. I’ve heard of this jam but never tried it. I wish I had time to try them all. Boil again over medium heat, until syrup thickens, about 15 minutes.

( Log Out /  I would like to congratulate your ideas…, http://cookwithherman.blogspot.in/search?updated-max=2012-09-18T23:21:00-07:00&max-results=4&start=12&by-date=false – check this link he has copied ur pictures.

hehehe Lynda made the same comment. Close the jam jars and turn them upside down for 5 minutes.