I will def make this again!! Thank you, I made these for CNY Eve.

Hi Maggie, Then it’s into the fridge for 20-24 hours!

Add the pork to a skillet with the canola oil on medium high heat and brown well, 2-3 minutes on each side. made some veg llo mian to go with it. Love your recipes and accompanying back stories & histories!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of replacing red food coloring. If you’re interested in making it, you can either use my soy sauce noodle base (http://omnivorescookbook.com/soy-sauce-noodles) or wonton soup (https://omnivorescookbook.com/recipes/wonton-soup) base. I could not get that blackened char that I saw in your post. I have to wonder, because even 36-48 hours in the fridge does not allow the color Here is the best part.

Arrange the Char Siu on the serving plate and drizzle the marinade on top. Hi Phyllis, thanks so much for leaving such a thoughtful comment and I’m so happy to hear you enjoyed the dish! The char siu was , wow. The one thing I changed is instead of pork loin , I used pork butt well trimmed to take off excess fat and cut into 2 inch squared thickness.

Thank you for all the beautiful and inspiring pictures.

A mid-weight Shiraz or Australian Cabernet-Shiraz, a Chilean Merlot or Carmenère, a Pinotage, a Zinfandel - you get the picture.

And I also got hooks there to hang ducks and chickens in the oven. Pork Char Siu made with pork tenderloin in a garlic and ginger spiced marinade with Chinese 5 spice powder and hoisin sauce, this is a healthier spin on the classic Chinese takeout favorite. This Char Siu came out brilliantly! Hi Sandi, sorry for the slow reply. I have been craving Char Siu lately–so this recipe comes at a perfect time.

You could potentially increase the oyster sauce and molasses (+2 tablespoons oyster sauce and +2 tablespoons molasses). Cook until reduced to about half, 5-7 minutes. I think the Char Siu recipe I’ve used took longer, though, so I’m pinning yours, and will give it a try next time! This looks amazingly delicious!

Once done, let the sauce cool for at least 10 minutes.

We are making a cross between sweet and sour and char siu, so you’ll see a bit more in the recipe that’s sweet. Your email address will not be published. (Optional) If you’re using pork loin, cut the pork along the grain, into 2 strips about 2” (6 cm) wide and 1”(3 cm) thick. The glaze is very sugary so I would brush them at a later stage to prevent it from burning.

I hope this is not too confusing! I used your Black Bean Sauce to make your Hoisin sauce, which I then used in the recipe with the other ingredients. A good char siu should be slightly chewy, juicy, with a vibrant, rich color and an equally alluring aroma. Thank you… :o). It calls for brown bean sauce (which was very hard to find at the time) instead of hoisin and oyster sauce.. Thank you for the recipe. The family of 6 ate 3 lbs. Love this recipe! These days you can easily get maltose on Amazon, although you can also get a jar for less than two bucks at an Asian market. If there is any leftover char siu, you can use it to make many popular dishes such as char siu fried noodles, char siu fried rice, steamed char siu buns, baked char siu buns, char siu pastries, and much more. Do you have any recommendations on what to use other than maltose for diabetics to also get that glaze?