PSI (aka Spanish Inquisition) plays Dryad Arbor because the card [[Land Grant]] can fetch for it and with it, PSI can cast [[Culling the Weak]] to sac the dryad to get 4 Black mana.

Have you ever seen elves go off with it? Dryad is a creature type. All of these are relevant to SOMETHING in the deck. It has its down side but being able to fetch a creature is pretty sweet. The Dryad Arbor I'm 50/50 on as it's been good but I've also been burned by summoning sickness. It only takes a minute to sign up. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa.

A player who has priority may play a land card from their hand during a main phase of their turn when the stack is empty.

Replacement effect do not use the stack, or require priority. Gabriel Nassif. Thanks for contributing an answer to Board & Card Games Stack Exchange! Those cute uses make it near mandatory in some decks though. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, Mtgo - Mzfroste (Grixis Delver, Czech Pile). The second major use is the sac outlet that other people have mentioned. Land Grant - (G) (SF) (MC)Culling the Weak - (G) (SF) (MC)[[cardname]] or [[cardname|SET]] to call, Like Travis Woo said "THERE IS A MAN IN THAT TREE". This is a big reason why it's a 2-of in Elves. That’s a massive problem and I’ll tell you why: Judges are not as good at Magic as competitive players. A dryad is the guardian angel of trees. Need help finding intersection of a hyperbola and a circle, How to change space between columns in matrix. Playing a land does not use the stack, so you cannot "respond" to it; it is never on the stack, so "doing something while it's on the stack" is not possible. I'm not sure whether it has an official definition in the rules, but in common parlance, it refers to acting while something has gone onto the stack, but has not resolved yet (and thus is still on the stack). :(. So what’s “reasonably required” for a Judge could be much longer than it is for a pro.

It had to be already sitting on the battlefield. Creating new Help Center documents for Review queues: Project overview, Feature Preview: New Review Suspensions Mod UX.

green Sun's zenith - (G) (MC)[[cardname]] or [[cardname|SET]] to call, Why're we downvoting this?

Cast This suggests that you have a misunderstanding of how the term "respond" is used in MtG.

Also how is he useful against [[Liliana of the Veil]], someone suggested I get him to in case I run into her. It doesn’t use the stack, it’s not a spell, it can’t be responded to, it has no mana cost, and it counts as your land play for the turn. It's also a 1/1 creature so pendelhaven can pump it, if you are playing a deck with noble hierarchs the exalted triggers add up quickly too. 305.1. Diabolic Edict - (G) (SF) (MC)[[cardname]] or [[cardname|SET]] to call. - This has 2 primary uses - EoT put a dude into play.

Does my Dryad Arbor stop being a creature with a Blood Moon in play? This effect does not need Dryad Arbor entering the battlefield to be on the stack; replacement effects simply replace the effect they are replacing. It's absolutely a thing, it basically turns Green Sun into a Llanowar Elf, Dryad Arbor - (G) (MC)Liliana of the Veil - (G) (MC)[[cardname]] or [[cardname|SET]] to call. Is there inaction? Land tricks - Elves can block with Arbor, then return Arbor to your hand with Quirion Ranger to annoy the crap out of your opponent. "Why is it always a one-of?" That means Dryad Arbor isn't cast, and Containment Priest's ability will exile it.

since playing a land is apparently a special action that cannot be responded to. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. GSZ for 0 to make a T1 mana dork - This is mostly useful in a deck like Elves or Maverick where you REALLY want a T1 dork, but you don't want to spend mulligans looking for one, and don't really want to play a dork that isn't called Deathrite Shaman, and you're playing GSZ anyway. It turns GSZ into a ramp spell and green fetches into edict protection effects. It's green, land, forest, creature, dryad, 1/1, summoning sick, 0 Mana. Why thin metal foil does not break like a metal stick? This gives it the advantages and restrictions of both types. Dryad Arbor is played as a land, so it isn’t a spell.

PRIM 1 FAULT prior to ETOPS entry, Divert or Continue?

As for Tarmogoyf it's a newer addition as prices have fallen and although it's a 3/4 just from the deck itself every matchup I've had it's been 3/4 or 4/5 but turns 2 and 3 … There's also the fact that odd spells like Abrupt Decay can't target lands, so that's fun too. Discussion on Magic: the Gathering's Legacy (Type 1.5) format, decks, cards, tournaments, etc. The original effect does not ever happen. it attacks for 1 after they terminus away your board. One good thing that I do know about Dryad Arbor is that you can Green Sun's Zenith for 0 and have cheap mana ramp. Surprise, that fetch is a creature!

Does Containment Priest exile Dryad Arbor?

Hierarch is bad in most decks since you really want to take advantage of the exalted mechanic. What is the name of this game with a silver-haired elf-like character?

It doesn’t use the stack, it’s not a spell, it can’t be responded to, it has no mana cost, and it counts as your land play for the turn.

Press J to jump to the feed. M:tG infinite loops: which actions are optional vs. mandatory? Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Otherwise, the card is pretty terrible.

It also allows you to exile [[Bridge from Below]] by putting up a surprise blocker. High-Performance Computing: What does "Mio CPUh" mean? See rule 601, “Casting Spells.”.

Swing at ‘em with a tree! - In addition to what philnancials said said, you don't want the card in your opening hand and you probably don't want to draw into it, so just one gives you the best math chance of those happening. How to make non-linear movements with a Follow Path constraint? Was AGP only ever used for graphics cards? 601.1a Some effects still refer to “playing” a card. Add 1 or 2 Dryad Arbors to the deck and you get ramp that much more often without it costing a whole lot from the deck building perspective. If I play Dryad Arbor as my land for the turn does it get exiled by Containment Priest?

If I clone a Dryad Arbor is the clone a land? Which brings us back to that match involving Dryad Arbor and Gabriel Nassif. It's most common in Bogles, I think, but it's a not-insignificant trick in some other decks. Dryad Arbor is a Land Creature — Forest Dryad. You make a Marit Lage token and if your opponent tries to make you sacrifice it, you fetch or Crop Rotate the Arbor in. Also making GSZ a late game and early game card is very strong. Loam can block, then dredge up Loam, return Dryad Arbor to your hand, and do it all again next turn while restocking your hand with lands for future turns. Join us discussing news, tournaments, gameplay, deckbuilding, strategy, lore, fan art, cosplay, and more. Can a person purposely provoke someone to hit him and then report a crime?

Aether Flash would trigger for Dryad Arbor too.

You don't even need Crop for it to protect from edicts; any green fetch will do it too. 2 mana ramp! 2007-05-01: Dryad Arbor is played as a land. Honestly, I think the Gatherer page ought to have a ruling specifying that lands played the regular way are affected. A diverse community of players devoted to Magic: the Gathering, a trading card game ("TCG") produced by Wizards of the Coast and originally designed by Richard Garfield. GSZ allows for 4 additional “mana dorks” without having to fear drawing into them later when they would be bad. It has evasion on lots of "nonland permanent" removals. There's basically only 3 playable mana dorks in legacy: DRS, hierarch and arbor of gsz. Since other lands aren't inherently creatures, they would be covered by the ruling that says "If a noncreature card wasn’t cast and is entering the battlefield as a creature (due to an effect such as that of March of the Machines), it will be exiled." Since the land doesn’t go on the stack, it is never a spell, and players can’t respond to it with instants or activated abilities. Its both a land and a creature for gaea’s cradle as well. @Arthur Dryad Arbor is the only land that isn't handled by existing rulings and would be covered by that ruling. Is it safe to look at a mercury gas discharge tube? Maybe not the summon sick part.

Therein they were assigned by the Godhead, and therein they take up their domain. "exile it instead" is a replacement effect. The primary example being Dark Depths, but this is also the primary reason why Boggles tends to play 1 Dryad Arbor. Basically, land grant enables players to search for forest which it conveniently is. Dryad Arbor posesses both card types without any animations.

New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Also you get to do cool stuff with Quirion Ranger and Scryb Ranger. Does Pillar of Flame exile creatures with undying?

A lot of players will go to a pretty low life total against infect forgetting that normal damage is possible from the deck and end of turn fetching dryad arbor and playing out hierarchs is a great way to end the game. At least in Turbo Depths, it acts as a fetchable counter to [[Diabolic Edict]] and similar effects. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. Land tricks - Elves can block with Arbor, then return Arbor to your hand … Why is it in lists like Turbo Depths? They get him to 1 somehow and you fetch EoT and BAM!

rev 2020.11.11.37991, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Board & Card Games Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. However, I don't know why it is good outside of that. It's nice to grab it turn one with [[green sun's zenith]] for early game ramp. C) It adds a free creature, for effects that care about creatures you have. To take a card from where it is (usually the hand), put it on the stack, and pay its costs, so that it will eventually resolve and have its effect.

She's useful against Lili because, if you have a fetchland on the battlefield when someone activates the "Sacrifice a creature" power, you can fetch out the Arbour and sacrifice it, instead of something that mattered more. They are not a "response" to the effect they are replacing, they replace the effect. A lot of players will go to a pretty low life total against infect forgetting that normal damage is possible from the deck and end of turn fetching dryad arbor and playing out hierarchs is a great way to end the game.